ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A little advice for a prospective RS Clio buyer.

172 Cup CC
Hello everyone, I've been lurking on here for a couple of months now and think that the Clio ticks most of the boxes for what I want from a car.

As I'm not too familiar with these cars, I was hoping to get a bit of buying advice from people who do know them, in particular about one issue I seem to be coming across. I have seen three cars local to me within the last couple of weeks and all three had a dent in the same place, so I was wondering if this is a common problem and something I shouldn't be too worried about, or should I continue to walk away from these cars.

The problem is a sharp crease (about 1.5 - 2 inches in length) running vertically across the roof rail above the trailing edge of the passenger side door, normally I would take this to be a sign of frontal impact, but all three cars I've seen have looked otherwise straight.

Thanks for your help

Matt

Clio 182 FF
Hi mate this isnt a common problem I know about.With the buying advice I would look for one with both cup packs and make sure the belts have been changed.

What sort of budget do you have?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Welcome !

I've absolutely no idea what you're talking about, I can't picture what you mean at all. A styling line on the door, the roof, the B pillar? Running vertically so I assume ground to roof ? :S

Put up a pic of the side of a Clio and MS Paint a circle what you're on about...

If you've seen the same mark on 3 cars then sense says it's on all the cars ? Go look at a non-RS .. there'll be one down your road (damn things are everywhere). See if it's on that too.

Broaden your horizons a bit. Finding a mint RSC is easy enough but the chances of there being one on your doorstep is slim...

Check the for sale section on here :)

Good luck !!

Edit:

Nick, he hasn't stated if he wants a Mk2 Ph1, a Mk2 V6... or what ? Cup packs only apply to 182s. :eek:

Black 172
Funnily enough I was looking at a Clio 172 on eBay yesterday which was described as having a "small roof dent".

Last edited:
  172 Cup CC
No these creases are definitely not a styling feature, sounds as though not a common problem then, just coincidence that 3 cars for sale locally (all spotted on side of the road and pulled in to have a look) all have similar damage. I shall continue to walk away from these cars then.

All three have been 182s with both cup packs, although it doesn't really bother me too much what spec the car is as I'd plan to do a few little mods anyway. I actually prefer the subtlety of the 172 with the stealth exhaust.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
No these creases are definitely not a styling feature, sounds as though not a common problem then, just coincidence that 3 cars for sale locally (all spotted on side of the road and pulled in to have a look) all have similar damage. I shall continue to walk away from these cars then.

All three have been 182s with both cup packs, although it doesn't really bother me too much what spec the car is as I'd plan to do a few little mods anyway. I actually prefer the subtlety of the 172 with the stealth exhaust.

You missed a good one for sale in Lincoln. I bought it a few weeks back though, unlucky. 53 plate 172 in Flame Red with a FSH and 38,000 on the clocks. Got it for just over £3k minus what I got for my old fucked up 206 GTi.

If you want any help buying one in the Lincoln area give me a shout, I've had 4 Clios now.

172 Cup CC
You missed a good one for sale in Lincoln. I bought it a few weeks back though, unlucky. 53 plate 172 in Flame Red with a FSH and 38,000 on the clocks. Got it for just over £3k minus what I got for my old fucked up 206 GTi.

If you want any help buying one in the Lincoln area give me a shout, I've had 4 Clios now.

Was that the one from the old Suzuki garage? If so I had a look at it, didn't have the cash at the time.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Not sure, as I've only lived in Lincoln for a year. But it's the one next to Italia Moto. Only saw it when my Dad went to get parts for his Ducati. :rasp:

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2

Man after my own heart, I much prefer the 172 rear end. Then along came a 182 at a rather good price and now i have wheelbarrow exhausts! :( Happy with the car though!

172 Cup CC
@Ollie - yeah that's the one, I actually drove past there when you were picking it up, I'd been looking at it on the forecourt every time I passed by for about 2 months.

@aldo - got to say I'm all about the sleeper look, but if a car comes up at the right price I'll buy it.

Got to say I'm not really looking too hard right now, concentrating on my other search as looking to buy a track s**g with one of my work mates.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
@Ollie - yeah that's the one, I actually drove past there when you were picking it up, I'd been looking at it on the forecourt every time I passed by for about 2 months.

@aldo - got to say I'm all about the sleeper look, but if a car comes up at the right price I'll buy it.

Got to say I'm not really looking too hard right now, concentrating on my other search as looking to buy a track s**g with one of my work mates.

Took me about 5-6 months to find one I liked enough, I've test driven some f**king dogs I can tell you. As I said, the offer of help is there if you want me to look at any cars with you in the Lincoln area.

172 cup
My 172 Cup will be up for sale once I'm back from my summer holidays at the end of august :) already got most the right mods and is very well kept with the subtle back end your after... (hiding a Yozza stealth to).