ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another MCS. The track day toy.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
This project was actually started in March 2008 (by Sarah's brother), but as he moved to Dubai recently, i thought id better take it off his hands :slap: So off i went on Sunday to Cardiff on the Megabus. It cost £10.50 from London Victoria, but smelled very much of wee, so next time ill get the train. Rich's thread on Minitorque was pretty detailed, & covered all of the work done, so here it is: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f273/project-rory-*picture-heavy*-7172/

From his list, the current spec is as follows:

1320 Mynes Tune, Newman Cam, 450 injectors, 15% Pulley, Dave.F, GRS 'Motorsport' intercooler, Milltek cat-back.
R56S front Calipers, Nitrac 294mm 12 groove discs, MintexM1144's, GoodridgeSS hoses, Castrol Response Super Dot 4.
MeisterR Coilovers, V-Maxx F.droplinks, OMP lower brace, rear bench brace, Powerflex bushes.
17" TD Pro Race 1.2 with Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 215/40/17s
Black beltline, 17" TD Pro Race 1.2 with Vredesteins & 16"s with T1R's for track, HALOs, aero grill, stubby aerial.
Scanguage 2, CG Locks.
As such, so ill be mostly fine tuning the suspension, changing some interior parts (chrome be gone) and fitting the works kit.

Ok, enough bullsh1t, ive been stockpiling parts for months :eek:

Facelift front xenons, Facelift rear lights, Facelift front grille (to go with the GP front bumper), Black mirror covers, Orranje rear de-wiper delete, GP front bumper (although might still change to aero), Aero front bumper, Aero side skirts, 17" anthracite turinis (off the GP), Facelift doorcards (anthracite trim), Anthracite dashboard & trims, Anthracite cupholders/gear surround, De-chrome switch panel, 3 Spoke facelift steering wheel (to be retrimmed JCW leather/alcantara), Whiteline rear ARB, Hardrace rear control arms & OMP upper strut brace

As per usual, ill keep this thread updated with bits & bobs, but pics as it stands now :cool:

IMG_2268_zps14957847.jpg

IMG_2269_zpsff1cd95e.jpg

IMG_2271_zps2bfcffe2.jpg

IMG_2272_zpse89b4676.jpg

IMG_2274_zps9fb2e420.jpg

IMG_2279_zpsbfb05cd8.jpg

IMG_2284_zps2f0b806c.jpg

IMG_2287_zpsf881dc62.jpg

IMG_2288_zps96e6472e.jpg

IMG_2286_zps725685ee.jpg

IMG_2289_zpsb368e35e.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsd8df1f6d.jpg

Naturally, compared to the M135i it feels slow at first (tbf, most things do lol), but once its on the boil, it goes like a scolded cat, brakes on a sixpence and turns into corners like a go-kart. Its essentially a very accomplished car that Richard has done brilliantly to build over the years.
ALOT of blood, sweats, tears & money have gone into this thing already, so hopefully i can build on that in my tenure :race:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Who bought the GP?

Oh and I hate the poverty spec colour scheme but the car reeks of track win! Always thought the gearbox was long throw and the stick itself was quite tall.

Has it got the 6SP LSD box Dave?

I've got a similar spec car here, but with 100shot of NOS in it, thing is mental.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks a good purchase Dave, did you ever get those bits off that bloke?

Eventually yes!! All came through in the end, he was in the Army, so out & about a lot apparently.

This is going to be awesome. Roof going black?

Id like that eventually yes, although i have been rather surprised by the cost of spraying things, i.e. the front bumper/side skirts (that are currently red), so ill either spray it all myself with rattle cans like a pikey, leave the roof white/works kit red, or wait until i have some more money to get it done properly lol.

Who bought the GP?

Oh and I hate the poverty spec colour scheme but the car reeks of track win! Always thought the gearbox was long throw and the stick itself was quite tall.

Some chap from near Reading, wanted to have a daily alongside his 911 C4S. Lovely guy, ive only had one car since April :dapprove:

Colour scheme, yes, id rather have grey, but beggars cant be chosers lol.

You do love them don't you :)

Oh yus. Not as chuckable as the clio, but much easier to tune & they offer far more mechanical grip imho, so whilst not ultimately as playful as the Trophy was on the limit, it should be a fair bit quicker on track overall.

Has it got the 6SP LSD box Dave?

I've got a similar spec car here, but with 100shot of NOS in it, thing is mental.

Unfortunately not, pre-facelift without LSD :dapprove: does seem to have some kind of quickshift though, as the throw is far less than my original one!! 100 of NOS as well? That must be a bit daft lol. TC light was flickering last night at the top end of 3rd as it is!

Unfortunately not, pre-facelift without LSD :dapprove: does seem to have some kind of quickshift though, as the throw is far less than my original one!! 100 of NOS as well? That must be a bit daft lol. TC light was flickering last night at the top end of 3rd as it is!

Thought he'd have converted it to be fair, it's a different animal with the LSD.

Yeah when the NOS comes in, it's batsh*t.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Look forward to seeing the progress mate!

Got started this weekend ;)

First up was the interior. Firstly as it just felt like i was driving around in Richard's car all the time, & secondly, because quite frankly, chrome can die in a fire :dead: As such, id bought anthracite dash trims (think these were fitted to the mini one), along with some facelift doorcards, to replace the whole lot. Needless to say, when i found that all the chrome was just stuck on, i cried a little, as id wasted a little money, but alas, i prefer the darker colour anyways. And the GP was silver, so always nice to try different things ...

As such, lots of before/afters:

Dash1_zpse27aaa79.jpg

Dash2_zpsd72bb475.jpg

Chrome1_zps5bef3c22.jpg

Chrome2_zps738e7ad5.jpg

Chrome3_zps49572b42.jpg

Chrome4_zpsddbcc1dc.jpg

Door1_zpsdc0bde6a.jpg

Door2_zpsdc526f9b.jpg

And the offending stick on stuff :quiet:

Stickon_zpsfab8035a.jpg

Next up was replacing the standard candles at the front end. Yes, the pre-facelift are xenons, but slighter older "technology" so facelift ones were sourced to improve my ability to see at night. Really easy to swop as well, hardest bit was getting the old headlight rings off without breaking any of the stupid clips!! Slight panic when the drivers side one didnt work, but refitting a loose wire soon solved that problem :eek:

Before
Xenon_zps0d2a62c8.jpg

During
Xenon2b_zps92624e48.jpg

Comparison
Xenon1_zpsfd8ed874.jpg

Xenon2a_zps4014c5e4.jpg

After
Xenon4_zpsfa060e0c.jpg

Next up i wanted to fit the turinis, but as the car is currently slammed on 215/40/17's and they have 205/45/17's there was no way they were ever going to fit, not without raising it up a bit first, which i didnt have time to do :dapprove:

Wheel1_zps4172c5f2.jpg

Wheel2_zpsc80aac15.jpg

Final bit fitted was the OMP upper strut brace, probably doesnt do much, but certainly brightens up the (in the need of a clean) engine bay! Lower one is already fitted, as Sarah & I bought it for Rich years & years ago for xmas one year. I know its still there as it scrapes on everything.

Strut1_zps4c8af325.jpg

Strut2_zps07f44f54.jpg

Next easy things to fit will be the facelift rear lights, my private plate & JCW style facelift steering wheel when i get it back from the trimmers, then onto the rear ARB, camber arms, sorting the coilovers (need re-adjusting for pre-load/height/damping etc), then fitting the wheels.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nice Dave! What Meister R coilovers are they and how do you find them, ride and handling wise?

They're the Europa ones, currently very stiff (think Rich set the pre-load a bit higher than the 0 that is recommended for some reason) and too low so really not very forgiving at all. Going to raise them up a bit at the weekend & mess with the settings a little so will report back then on my findings :)

Needs the wheel changing asap!

Funny you should say that, impatience has got to me (retrim cant be done for another couple of weeks), so i just bought another of these:
94ee3d41-0d5a-4b4a-bc1c-14ea4efd6b0f_zps951c5107.jpg

Hopefully I'll see this on track at some point.

Have you got any days planned?

Currently panning Bedford on Sat 1st November. Wanted to do something before to get a feel for the car/what needs changing, but not much holiday left to do one during the week. Also needs a pretty major service as well really.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That wheel did look lovely in the GP. As it will in this..

The interior is staying I take it?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The interior is staying I take it?

Yeah, it'll probably go the way of the Trophy, so buckets in the front (either Bimarco Experts, or Corbeau Clubsports), harnesses & a rear bench delete. Daft as it sounds, i like to leave the backrest in so that i can still use the boot lol. Well, apart from for trackdays where i remove it/fill the rear with spare wheels/tyres.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
This looks good Dave. You planning on doing Bedford as the season opener next Feb? If so, i'll be there to give this a run for it's money :)

Yeah should imagine so, assume Chip will be organising/putting a thread up about it soon? Can't see me being about to keep up with you if you're S/C'ing yours though lol. Unless i simply adopt the Lewis Hamilton "last of the late brakers" technique ...

How much weight can be easily lost from these? I think the Turini's will look great once they're on!

Not too sure really, id imagine a decent amount, probably more sound deadening/interior niceties to remove than a clio.

But yes, cannot wait to get the turinis on. Already have silvervisions and coilovers so it'll be like driving a clio again
hehe.gif

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah should imagine so, assume Chip will be organising/putting a thread up about it soon? Can't see me being about to keep up with you if you're S/C'ing yours though lol. Unless i simply adopt the Lewis Hamilton "last of the late brakers" technique ...

Will be good to catch up. Chip-mk1 are we hijacking the passionford day agin ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Another weekend, & some more work done on the wee beasty :cool:

First up was the facelift rear lights, look a little nicer, bit brighter etc. Small amount of wiring changes required as per: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge...er-s-rear-lights-2005-lights.html#post1200693, but hey, that adds to the fun. Just need to buy a clear red fog light bulb now, as my "new" fog light used to be the reversing light, so is currently white lol.

Before/During/After
Before_zps4417024b.jpg

During_zps71e1dee1.jpg

After_zps07c6530b.jpg

Then the wheels. Couldnt get the 1cm pre-load off the coilovers (as they are currently rather seized), so tried just bunging them on with the height as is. Fitted perfectly, although the drivers side spigot ring really struggled to go on as the hub seems slightly distorted. Rich prob never noticed as he used plastic spigots for the PR1.2's, but the turinis have metal - cue a fair bit of head scratching, swearing, filing & eventually use of a large hammer. So they are on, but swopping wheels again might cause some problems, so ill need to look into a solution next weekend really. More filing required i think. Anyways, i like the look, Cliosport spec now, just with more power :p

1_zps9670bf7b.jpg

31_zpsc6f16126.jpg

31b_zps7e120db2.jpg

32_zpsbad19825.jpg

33b_zps99890955.jpg

34_zpsd809e942.jpg

35_zps91d40df9.jpg

Next weekend, get the pre-load off the coils to not only raise it up slightly, but improve the currently awful ride quality!