ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supra NA/T Conversion

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Time to start a progress thread, I've wanted a Toyota Supra since I was a kid and being friends with @rob_sri didn't help as his is absolutely awesome.

I've spent the last 6 months looking for one and in that time have been enjoying both my Clio 172 Cup and MX5, unfortunately both have had to go to make way for the Supra.

8b22950a-589b-44be-b23e-dfc52d320d8a.jpg

96102934-6464-4aa5-9431-aea1cfff9709.jpg

Rob has helped me massively in finding a Supra, regularly searching and updating wanted threads. I wanted a manual N/A Supra with the view to turbo it in the not too distant future. It also had to be stock oem body. Ideally I wanted Red but found this near impossible.

Then all of a sudden I found one in Perth (north of Edinburgh), Rob kindly agreed to drive me up there (company car Auris Hybrid) but as it would be a long day I booked an overnight stay, we planned to set of 7am on the morning at yet at 1:30am I received a message saying it was sold (seller promised me he'd keep it a day till I could come) then at 1:32am Rob received a message from a mkivsupra forum member with another Red one in even better condition. What are the chances after 6months of searching. So we ended up going to Manchester to view that one instead.

This was when I picked it up (alongside Rob's Milkfloat)

IMG_6546.gif

The next day I removed some stickers (big rear supra window sticker) and rear fog to relocate to light unit.
Pictured with Rob's Supra and my friend Keiran's 350z.

IMG_6547.gif

Then I took it to my friend Luke's (Red 200x) for a full detail, Rob joined us so we could raise his suspension too.

IMG_6683.jpg

Before

10495575_673358969399568_7685110643258113292_o.jpg

After

10498222_673359029399562_1786044525447952350_o.jpg

Not the best pics but gives you an idea of the huge improvement.

I took it to the ClioSport West Midlands Rolling road day where it actually made slightly higher than the book figure and the guys commented on it being a strong engine (nice to know considering I'll be bolting on a big single turbo)

IMG_6757.gif

IMG_6756.jpg

Started on a few bits to tidy it up, firstly removed the seats and centre console to give it a thorough clean, the carpet will soon be dyed black.
You can also see the carbon wrapped armrest/glovebox that I promptly removed.

IMG_6624.gif

IMG_6636.gif

I also fitted my iPod compatible stereo and cable to glovebox

IMG_6847.gif

Clear side repeaters

IMG_6808.gif

New drop links to fit

IMG_6871.jpg

New exhaust as the previous owner cut ALL the baffles out and the exhaust was horrendous, it's still loud but much better.

IMG_6869.jpg

IMG_6877.gif

Fitted some 6k HID's to both dipped and highbeam, will relocate the sidelights to the front bumper when I have facelift indicators.

IMG_6872.jpg

IMG_7030.gif

Serviced it including plugs which were a complete pain in the arse to do with the NA intake manifold

IMG_6804.gif

IMG_6886.gif

I then decided to do a DIY job on the rear boot rust (common issue and the only rust) sounds ridiculous on a car like a Supra but it's only temporary as I plan to fit a carbon boot in the near future (will be painted Red professionally then)

IMG_6762.gif

Removed the spoiler

IMG_6844.gif

Removed the Boot

IMG_6933.gif

Angle Grinded, Sanded and slight filler, then paint.

IMG_6932.gif

Finished result, no means perfect but it will do for now

IMG_6964.gif

Both sides were like this and have both been repaired the same as a temporary measure.

Then it was off to Curborough, a local sprint track and a great day out that my friend regularly puts on, I only did one gentle lap as I'm not at all familiar with the car and I arrived late too but pictured are a few friends awesome cars, Rob's black Supra, (hiding an s14a 200sx), Red Supra Turbo, Skyline GTT (big plans for this one), my Supra, Crazy RX7 and the 350z.

IMG_6601.gif

Then I had the aircon regassed and fitted new wipers in preparation for a 4 day road trip me and some friends were going to take

IMG_6744.gif

IMG_6745.jpg

The road trip was absolutely amazing, the best 4 days I've had, great laughs had, so much attention and the roads were epic. Black mountains and Evo Triangle to name a few.

IMG_7045.jpg

IMG_7048.gif

IMG_7069.gif

Last edited:

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good!

Are you not missing two plugs though?

Haha good eye, I ordered them online and they gave an option of singular plugs or buy 4 together which was cheaper. I forgot to add 2 extra which is down to the fact I've always owned 4cyl cars. As soon as they arrived I realised and purchased 2 more.

Haha good eye, I ordered them online and they gave an option of singular plugs or buy 4 together which was cheaper. I forgot to add 2 extra which is down to the fact I've always owned 4cyl cars. As soon as they arrived I realised and purchased 2 more.

I used to sell car parts for a living, always notice stuff like that.

A friend of mine has a Supra TT manual in Quicksilver Silver, thing is pretty brutal.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and another thing, it only has a genuine 55,000 on the clock :eek:

Amazing. Awesome work getting it to this standard I'm sure it'll be amazing when you're done.

also, I wish I was man enough for rwd

Thanks very much, it's a tidy looking car anyway and get's a lot of attention. Never before have I had people speak to me at lights or petrol stations but yes the plans are big and should make it a great car.

I used to sell car parts for a living, always notice stuff like that.

A friend of mine has a Supra TT manual in Quicksilver Silver, thing is pretty brutal.

:) Fair enough.

Very nice, I'd have loved a TT as a base but couldn't justify it /afford it when I'd want to rip half of it apart to go big single supra anyway.

Yesss, frigging awesome!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
WTF Matt you kept that quiet mate, bloody love Supra's
I only saw you one Saturday and you mentioned nothing.

Then again I don't go to the RR days anymore
since I got radically different BHP figures on the same rollers with the same car.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
WTF Matt you kept that quiet mate, bloody love Supra's
I only saw you one Saturday and you mentioned nothing.

Then again I don't go to the RR days anymore
since I got radically different BHP figures on the same rollers with the same car.

I said to someone the other day I knew you loved them and it was a shame you weren't at the RR day, fair reason though :)

You didn't see me Saturday mate I wasn't there haha :s
Couldn't make it due to the road trip above.

I'm sure you'll see it soon mate :)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
As mentioned in the first post I recently went on a road trip with friends, this included a few passes up and down Black Mountain in Wales.
At first I did miss my 172 cup and remembered the last time I went up there with that, so checkable and precise. The Supra is currently like a boat in comparison.
Then I remembered the Supra could do something the Clio could not....

10644162_10152639417160409_8634957982285027473_o-2.gif

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't updated this in quite a while but there has been A LOT going on :smile:
Things that I can't show you just yet:
* Booked in for a full respray (still the original colour)
* Ordered Turbo kit (Turbo, Manifold, Downpipes, Screamer Pipe, Intake)
* Ordered Coilovers (BC Racing BR Type RA [Pillowball top mounts])

What I can show you for now though is the other parts I've since bought:

New wheels, they are XXR's, I had to order from the States as UK suppliers don't stock them in Silver with a polished rim.
Wheels are 18x8.5 at the front and 18x10 at the rears. They are et25 so an aggressive fit on the Supra's and will require an inner arch roll but nothing too drastic.

AlloyWheels.gif

Decent lip on the rears too

AlloyLip.jpg

Had to order tyres, went with Federal 595 RSR's. Had them on the 172 Cup and while they're very different cars I was very impressed with them. Have ordered the fronts as 235/40/18 and the rears are 265/35/18.

Tyres.gif

I've bought new wheel nuts for them too (couldn't fit old ones to my new shiny wheels)
Had to compromise with the colour I wanted as I wanted Steel nuts due to the failed alloy ones I've seen in the past.

Nuts.gif

Clutch was slipping and gradually got worse to the point I had to do something about it so fitted a new clutch (believe it or not a lot easier than the 172) with the help of my mate Rob_sri on here (fellow supra owner)

IMG_7876.gif

Excuse the terrible photo

Took this opportunity to fit a new Master Cylinder and Slave cylinder too due to some issues I was having

SlaveandMaster.gif

Have purchased new facelift Rear lights which I love the look of (grey inserts rather than black and all the bulbs are smoked so to speak. It really modernises the rear end (will be fitting these after respray)

FaceliftTailLights.gif

Facelift front indicators (also after respray)

FaceliftIndicators.gif

Corresponding looms

Indicatorlooms.gif

A new boot badge for the respray

BootBadge.jpg

Finally an intercooler to help me towards my conversion and to add to the rest of the kit I mentioned above that's in transit.

Intercooler.gif

It's booked in for paint on the 17th Jan (my birthday too, lovely present haha) and will hopefully be out in a couple of weeks and then everything above will be fitted along with the coilovers.

It's also going to be fully undersealed as well and the inner lip of the arches will be rolled to accommodate the alloys.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I also went with Rob_sri to pick up his new daily yesterday, a Clio 172 of course.
I drove it back for him and as a result realised I need one.
Once the Supra is resprayed I want to keep it nice so a 172 is on the cards, just need to find a bargain like Rob's.

IMG_8502.jpg

It's a lovely Monaco blue, was very cheap and goes very well.

With Rob working his magic it's starting to look new too

IMG_8503.jpg

I'm sure he'll post a progress thread up soon and that it'll probably be followed shortly by my next 172.

Stealth 438'd 182
Love this Matt cannot wait to get stripping it down and see it painted!!! Going to be an absolute beaut!

Thanks for the mention :D and yes you do need one!!! :p

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome. Great job on the DIY rust repair too. Will be watching this thread with interest :smile:

Thanks, yeah it went really well. If I was to have another go in better conditions I doubt you'd notice at all.
With the full respray booked though I won't be bothering.

Absolutely love it.

Again if you happen to find 2 clios that are cheap let me know :tongueout: got a few plans for one when I can find one at the right price!

Cheers Matt, I'll let you know :) First one I find is mine though haha. I was thinking about alternatives last night just to try something different and can't think of one that doesn't have several con's compared to a 172.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Few updates:
Firstly my coilovers were delivered, went for BC Racing RA type, they haven't been fitted yet as I plan to do this once the cars painted.
Coilovers.gif

I also bought an APR Carbon Cooling Plate, will tidy the bay up nicely once I get round to that.
IMG_8678.gif

Now though, the final and biggest update. It has gone in for paint! :smiley:
The guy painting it gave me the option to strip the car down myself which would result in it being a little cheaper. With the help of @rob_sri I managed to strip the interior Friday night.

IMG_8635.gif

Will pop some new speakers in before it goes back together as the oem ones are knackered.

IMG_8638.gif

Then on Saturday Rob joined me again along with another friend Rich and we stripped the majority of the exterior. We had very little time so there's a few bits to come out on Monday (Glass, handles etc) but most is done.

IMG_8667.gif

IMG_8669.gif

IMG_8671.gif

IMG_8675.gif

We have also rolled the inner lips on the rear arches (did not take any photo's) which will allow my wider rear wheels to be fitted.

While it's in I've opted to have all the lower plastics colour coded (you'll notice in earlier posts there is a black line that runs down the sill and side pods and also black trim pieces on the arches. These will all match.
I have also opted to remove the rear wiper and the rear window washer, these are being welded up so it should look much cleaner and smoother.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Does one of your friends own a sticker shop?!
Lol no, they were organised and paid for by us all as part of the road trip. Attracted a lot of attention and made it feel a lot more special really.
All off now though of course...until this years trip around Europe if I can make it

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Brilliant work! Can't wait to see the fresh paint.

Coilovers look amazing too, BC's are a great choice.