ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Olly's Arctic 182

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Right as I now actually own a 182 thought i'd better start a thread about it.

I am complete beginner at this kind of thing so excuse any mishaps as I'm still learning how to upload stuff etc.

Though there seems to still be quite a few of these cars around nowadays. the condition varies massively as well as the values imo, so finding a decent one for the right price was a harder task than I originally thought.
So I registered in here and soon found myself searching through the for sale section etc, as well as keeping an eye on the 'how much is it worth' for a possible car. I narrowed my choice down to either arctic, inferno or at a push blackgold.

I eventually found what looked like the a nice one local to me so arranged to go a look at it. The car was owned by a long serving member on this forum ( will include who if needed & with permission ), it was the first 182 I looked at in person and pretty much knew it was the one for me straight away. So agreed on a price and and picked it up on Tuesday night :boring:

Couple of images after a spin round the block for an hour that night :race: ( apologies for the quality, was dusk and only on iPhone )

day1front.jpg

day1left.jpg

day1back.jpg

First job on the list was to give it a good clean, as it had picked up a layer of dust with all the warm weather we have had recently. Earlier on in the week in preparation I puchased the following direct from Autofinesse

Tripple polish 250ml
Ultra soft wash mit
Primo microfibre cloth
Ultra plush microfibre

Sat am came around and got started on it, started off with a rinse down with the hose ( again only have my iPhone available at the moment so not the greatest quality images )

rinsed1.jpg

rinsed3.jpg

Used the two bucket system on both the wheels and the bodywork, obviously with different strength soap solution's

2bucket.jpg

Tools used for the wheels

wheeltool.jpg

For the shampoo I had some Carplan? stuff that had been in the garage for a while. Was really not impressed with it, did not produce as much suds as I wanted, so had to be really careful with the sheepskin wooly mitt that I had to avoid creating marks or scratches into the paint. I then patted her dry with a damp microfiber, then set about applying the polish

autofinesse.jpg

The sun was starting to come out properly and some of the paint was a little warm to apply it if I'm honest, but I was quick to apply and buff off again, and it mostly came out better than expected. The only place I stuggled was on the bonnet, there a a few very faint streak marks which I think are more of a residue from the product than an actual scratch or mark on the paint, will make sure I keep it in the shade 100% of the time when applying next time.

Few pics of her all done

donefend-2.jpg

dright-1.jpg

a91333d0-46a3-40e2-a16f-c1b3ea7085fd.jpg

dleft.jpg

dsparkle-2.jpg

dcloser-1.jpg

dclosef.jpg

The shine in the paint with the metallic finish looks really great imo now it's been polished, am surprised it came out so well. Renault must of spent a lot of cash to get this quality and shine from their paint finish at the time. I will probably give her another clean in around 2 weeks, I will order a wax to finish the job off, again any recommendations or future advice is well received.

More updates on mechanical bits to follow shortly

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Quick question, I went for a drive tonight and am still working out the odometer options what does this mean?

u3uzy5ar.jpg

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Whipped the nearside front wheel off yesterday morning as there was a strange scraping noise when turning left when there was a passenger in the front. Found this sticking out what is it? I shortened it and tucked it back behind the wheelarch I assume it's ok to do this?

e2ejy2uj.jpg

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Ok thanks, so would cutting a bit off and tucking it behind the wheelarch again be ok? Never heard of a battery breather

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Small update, going to give the leather a feed/condition with Diamondbrite leather feed that I have sitting in the garage this weekend. Also going to clean the alcantara on the seats etc, any products /techniques that work well or should I just give it a hoover?

For anyone who is interested the old owner of the car was Matt e

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
So I conditioned and cleaned the leather today on the seats etc with diamondbrite leather conditioner, was pretty easy wipe on/off jobby and has come up pretty well. Only thing I'm not keen on is the smell it has, it is really odd smelling. I've never used a leather conditioner before is this normal?

I also have it a vacuum and wipe over etc, and done the alcantara trim just with a microfibre, came up really nice again :)

Clio 182
Lookimg good there sir :) as for the 1.1 on your dashboard reading, I believe that is how many gallons of fuel you have used sinde you last tripped it? I could be wrong, but im sure thats what it is

Looks nice and shiny after that clean, good work! Also that 1.1 is (to confirm the above) how many gallons of fuel you used since you last filled up.

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Thanks guys for the help, still a noob with this car and how the little trip computer works lol

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Gave it another proper clean today and a polish etc trying to do a bit of prep for next weekend ( I am 90% coming will buy a ticket on the gate ). Two things, the clean today took me 3 hours which was wheel clean, rinse paint, sheepskin wet wash with 2 bucket, pad dry, polish with tripple, window clean. Does this sound about right terms of time or am I too slow?

Also as I have done this today hopefully will just need a quick once over on Friday night ready for Saturday?

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Small update first time she got up on a proper ramp since owning, had a good look underneath looks clean enough. Had a strange loud knock appear day before yesterday, so got it up on a ramp asap to have a look. This was the result:

photo.jpg

Ordered a pair of brackets and nuts from local Renault dealer as the other one doesn't look too clever either. They said they hadn't sold one of tjem in the last 3yrs, poly bushes prob caused it what you think guys? Total order only about £14 happy days

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
How you finding your 182 now? Thinking of getting a remap done too

Now I have had it a little while and am used to the drive more and more, I feel like it needs the map. It is more noticeable with a passenger or two in the car that its not that quick until the all important '5k kick'. From what I have read you can get an rstuner then map it ( once map paid for ) then sell on for the next person to pay for another map..... How you finding yours?

Clio 182
Now I have had it a little while and am used to the drive more and more, I feel like it needs the map. It is more noticeable with a passenger or two in the car that its not that quick until the all important '5k kick'. From what I have read you can get an rstuner then map it ( once map paid for ) then sell on for the next person to pay for another map..... How you finding yours?

Yeah I agree when you have a passenger or 2 you can feel the difference. Yeah I have been reading about the rs tuner myself, have been thinking about it too. Im finding mine very well thnaks :) like you said, getting used to driving it more. Part of me would like to have more power, saying that, the other part of me thinks there is enough power for me. Im getting used to the speed that when I look down at the speedo, im going over the limit and need to slow down a little :p took mine to 3 sisters circuit for 10 laps. Never been on a circuit before, but it gives you more confidence in how the car handles

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Yeah I agree when you have a passenger or 2 you can feel the difference. Yeah I have been reading about the rs tuner myself, have been thinking about it too. Im finding mine very well thnaks :) like you said, getting used to driving it more. Part of me would like to have more power, saying that, the other part of me thinks there is enough power for me. Im getting used to the speed that when I look down at the speedo, im going over the limit and need to slow down a little :p took mine to 3 sisters circuit for 10 laps. Never been on a circuit before, but it gives you more confidence in how the car handles

A track day may also be on the cards to try and gain some more confidence in driving the car etc. I am rapidly going off of the 'enthusiastic' drive, a friend of mine was involved in a car accident last night down a country lane when another driver veered into his lane whilst checking her sat nav :banghead:

How much was it for the track day?

This is very nice :). Looks incredible clean! Finding the issues in the first week of ownership seems a common thing when you buy a 182, I ended up spending a fortune sorting a few things out as soon as I bought mine!

Clio 182
A track day may also be on the cards to try and gain some more confidence in driving the car etc. I am rapidly going off of the 'enthusiastic' drive, a friend of mine was involved in a car accident last night down a country lane when another driver veered into his lane whilst checking her sat nav :banghead:

How much was it for the track day?

I do go on the odd drive out sometimes, but mainly I only drive to and from work and other social things I do to be honest. That doesnt sound good, was everyone alright though?

Track day at the three sisters was £20 for 10 laps, extra £5 for helmet hire and an extra £5 for a passenger :) next one is 7th october between 3pm and 9pm :) and you just turn up on the day and you can have as many goes as you want :) the track is small which is good for a new person as it means the track layout is easy to remember :)

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
This is very nice :). Looks incredible clean! Finding the issues in the first week of ownership seems a common thing when you buy a 182, I ended up spending a fortune sorting a few things out as soon as I bought mine!

Thanks for the compliment, spent a while looking to find a nice one am really glad I took the time. Issues so far have been minor

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
I do go on the odd drive out sometimes, but mainly I only drive to and from work and other social things I do to be honest. That doesnt sound good, was everyone alright though?

Track day at the three sisters was £20 for 10 laps, extra £5 for helmet hire and an extra £5 for a passenger :) next one is 7th october between 3pm and 9pm :) and you just turn up on the day and you can have as many goes as you want :) the track is small which is good for a new person as it means the track layout is easy to remember :)

Yeh they are fine just a bit of seatbelt rash and thoroughly shaken up.

Price's sound really good shame is so far away

celicaturbolly

ClioSport Club Member
  Kona , Old Defender
Update time:
Not much to report tbh, I took the car in to get a general check over and a service as Iv'e nearly put 10k on it now. The car has been brilliant in the time I've owned it, not skipped a beat and is great for cruising to and from work with the occasional blast in between. Still puts a smile on my face when you give it full beans through a couple of gears and corners. Needs a proper polish which I'll do when I have the energy, it's clean enough for now.

Plans; I'm toying with the idea of some Recaro's maybe.