ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Golf. An Update.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well, after my rants and fedup-ness, I've finally fallen back in love with the car. Nearly a year of ownership, and I cant see me getting rid for a while. The engine is a peach, the chassis is fantastic and I still smile when I look at it. Such a well proportioned car, with great subtle adittions.

Main headaches of ownership? Well, the wheel bearing thing was annoying. They are a common problem with MK5 Platform cars, and they are expensive. And due to their design, its difficult to actual tell which one has gone. Luckily, it was a rear, which is cheaper. Although, it was the wrong one we replaced, so had to swap them around again (DOH!).

As for modifications, I've been super sensible with it. Other than a back box delete, Audio system and my plate. Next year may see some more things, but I'm really in no rush. I think VW has nailed it personally. Since the beginning of September, I've started a course in Newbury once a week. Thing will happily get 35mpg on the trip, yet I can still have it tripodding around roundabouts and making boosty wooshy noises. What more do you want?

Anyway, pictures and exhaust video. Note that I was using a sealed waterproof case to stop wind noise, hence why it sounds quite muffled.

9998107015_4cba4f6730_z.jpg

The GTI by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

9998093285_6b06bca055_z.jpg

9998210963_3324cd776c_z.jpg

[video=youtube_share;dQdK0al2P44]http://youtu.be/dQdK0al2P44[/video]
http://youtu.be/dQdK0al2P44

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
No dashboard issues?

When I had a brand new MK5 GT TDI the dash started to shut down before it was even a year old,
a VW technician came out to look at at and told me it would have been a recall,
but VW decided it was cheaper to just replace all the dashboards that were faulty.

Would have been over a grand to fix if I had to pay for it myself.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Hmm, didn't know about that issue. Then again, sounds like it was sorted a while back! Maybe mine didnt even have the faulty one from the factory? It's been a decent car for me. As I say, if anyone was "on the fence" about these I'd push them toward getting one. Ticks all the boxes well, doesn't compromise in many areas. Im sure the Clio is harder, and more track focused, but this is perfect for B Roads, Roundabouts and if you like.. driving like a grandad playing the MPG game.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It was one of the earlier MK5 GT TDI's, being German the probably sorted it straight away,
I really miss the seats & interior out my old one, they'd make the Clio perfect.

Snotter's
Couple of things you probably know, check if the car has the coil pack recall? We got the girlfriends gti in December and it hadnt been done.

I also noticed some bubbling starting to appear on the front arches which turned out to be a common fault, vw replaced both wings foc.

Considering one of these at the moment.

Probably a really stupid question but what is the backbox delete mod?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks peoples!

Couple of things you probably know, check if the car has the coil pack recall? We got the girlfriends gti in December and it hadnt been done.

I also noticed some bubbling starting to appear on the front arches which turned out to be a common fault, vw replaced both wings foc.

Aye, It has history of the coilpack being changed a couple of years back. It was paid for though? LOL. Also theres a badly repaired carpark ding on the rear arch thats doing this. Think the warranty is void because of that ffs.

Considering one of these at the moment.

Probably a really stupid question but what is the backbox delete mod?

Buy one. And as above, just the backbox has gone.

Love it apart from the exhaust.

You mean the way it looks? Its the same as standard. Picked some pipes that are the same size, just not corroded haha.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
No not the looks. Just think the GTi should remain as subtle as possible, its what I love about them. Not to say it sounds bad, just a personal preferance.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
No not the looks. Just think the GTi should remain as subtle as possible, its what I love about them. Not to say it sounds bad, just a personal preferance.

No I totally get that. Its what the GTI has always been about, subtle styling etc. I just liked the noise, so wanted to amplify it!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Love the colour. If mine wasn't black I'd probably want to keep it forever.

The stone chips/swirls on the black annoy me daily though.

f**king awesome all round package these.

If anything, this is worse on paint. Honestly I've just given up! LOL but yes, they are awesome motors. First time I've had a car and NOT been constantly thinking about getting rid for something else.

Got any other vids of the exhaust, maybe a drive by?

All I can hear is a load of wind noise.

The wind noise is turbo noise. It sounds like a jet or something on full chat. I'll try get a driveby if I ever get the time!

I accept that the GTi probably is a fantastic car to own and drive but I just can't get on with its bland looks.

It's not a bland car in the sense that its boring but to me, it's no different to any other golf on the road except this has a GTi badge on it.

I do like the colour of this one though, its a really nice dark shade of blue !

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I accept that the GTi probably is a fantastic car to own and drive but I just can't get on with its bland looks.

It's not a bland car in the sense that its boring but to me, it's no different to any other golf on the road except this has a GTi badge on it.

I think the GTI needs to be subtle, leave the lairy looks to the .:R ;)

very nice car bud. any plans for it ?

Not for a while. Always on the lookout for a cheap set of KW's to sharpen it up a bit, but at the same time Its fine as it is. I have plans, but lack of money having just started this course. So It'll have to wait. Not that I'm bothered, the car is spot on as standard.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Depends who is looking at it. Anyone with an interest can tell a GTi a mile off.

People who don't know anything about cars will think it's just a Golf, as they will an ST to a Focus etc. I love the fact most people will think I'm driving a diesel Golf...until I give them some noise that is.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
99% of people look at things like the ST or RS Fords, and VXR Vauxhalls as chavtastic. Where as all sorts of people give me the nod or thumbs up with mine. As above, it jsut looks like a sporty well specced up Golf to some people. And others, well they can tell its a GTI a mile off as said!

ph1 track weapon
Saw this in Newbury the other day.

The exhaust modification does make it sound a lot nicer thats for sure

I think the GTI needs to be subtle, leave the lairy looks to the .:R ;)

99% of people look at things like the ST or RS Fords, and VXR Vauxhalls as chavtastic. Where as all sorts of people give me the nod or thumbs up with mine. As above, it jsut looks like a sporty well specced up Golf to some people. And others, well they can tell its a GTI a mile off as said!

I take back everything I said.

Went out in a mates new GTi the other night.

What a fantastic car !

ph1 track weapon
Literally just put a deposit down on one of these :)

Shadow blue, so same colour, but in the 5 door with heated leather. Needs cambelt doing (well overdue) but otherwise a really detailed history, plus I got it CHEAP for the age and miles. Cant get over how comfy it is but whilst maintaining a good level of handling though. Think I'm going to really enjoy this car, and tempted by the back box delete also

DB.

BMW 440i
They truly are brilliant cars. I'd argue it was the best hatchback of the 04-08 era! Mine is faultless!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
The cabin quality is miles better than my BMW.

To be fair you can't really compare a Golf to a Z4.

I was really tempted by a Mk5 GTi as a daily, I think they're the only modern VAG which looks good in white, almost as good as the Mk2 GTi did.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

I presume you're referring to the comparison point I made (quote!)

A small convertible sports car against everyone's favourite hatchback? You want me to explain that further? Lol.

Compare it to the S2000, the Boxster. Let the Golf run its comparisons against the Megane 225, the Audi S3 etc.

Sure there's nothing wrong with saying the Golf was better, in your opinion, but I doubt BMW were planning the Z4's dash to be a 'Golf beating design'.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I think he was talking about the fit and finish of the interior.

It is literally the best car I've ever owned. I don't need anything more. Why would you? I can sit at 90mph+ on the *cough* autobahn and easily manage 30mpg plus. I can hoon it around backroads on three wheels with a massive grin on my face. I can take my 85 year old grandmother to the shops, in comfort. I can carry a load of s**t in the boot, I can go out for 5 minutes and laugh myself silly or go on a long motorway drive and not be fatigued at the end. I can turn up at a Car event and get nods of approval, I can go posh places and not be laughed out. And on top of all this, it has German levels of quality.

Please find me another car that does this. I dare you.

Yes I was referring to the cabin materials. I don't see why you can't compare BMW and VW on that point?

I'm not talking about boot space am I?

After all the Z4 I now have was very nearly £10,000 more when new compared to the GTI i had (2006 Mk5). In my opinion the materials are not as good as the VW and it certainly isn't screwed together as well.

DB.

BMW 440i
Tbh my Golf has a much nicer interior than my friends 1 series BMW, especially with the RNS510. (Satnav and DVD player to the non vag people) I'm still going for a BMW next though lol!

DB.

BMW 440i
I think he was talking about the fit and finish of the interior.

It is literally the best car I've ever owned. I don't need anything more. Why would you? I can sit at 90mph+ on the *cough* autobahn and easily manage 30mpg plus. I can hoon it around backroads on three wheels with a massive grin on my face. I can take my 85 year old grandmother to the shops, in comfort. I can carry a load of s**t in the boot, I can go out for 5 minutes and laugh myself silly or go on a long motorway drive and not be fatigued at the end. I can turn up at a Car event and get nods of approval, I can go posh places and not be laughed out. And on top of all this, it has German levels of quality.

Please find me another car that does this. I dare you.

Audi S3, at £10k more. Lol!