ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Silky Ignis Sport

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
[WARNING LONG POST OF PICTURES]

I'll start of with the summer road trip I had. Myself and my friend Jamie (Jezzamac off here) decided at the start of the year we would go on a road trip across Europe doing what everybody wants to do. We pretty much followed what DanFreemanPhoto and co done a couple of years back in terms of the route and stayed at a few different places.

I can't be arsed doing a write up, maybe at somepoint but it's taken myself this long to do it I doubt it will happen.

Anyway, this was our first stop when we got to Mainland Europe, Rotterdam. Lovely place, will go back I think.

8173239304_5e675d9a9c_z.jpg

Rotterdam by heez29, on Flickr

Lot's of motorway and single carriageway work was had... So many straight roads...

8173236618_4073fc4702_z.jpg

No Feet! by heez29, on Flickr

We got to Annecy on the third day and the place was stunning. Just a shame we got there quite late.

8173203449_1fa6a49565_z.jpg

Jamie_Annecy by heez29, on Flickr

8173201473_3cf2c854fe_z.jpg

Annecy by heez29, on Flickr

8173229550_6366717562_z.jpg

Annecy by heez29, on Flickr

The day after was the start of the twisty stuff. We had to take a detour as the start of the road D1212 was closed and my word it was amazing. Smooth, cambered, switchbacks, twisty straights and an Alfa (Maybe a 1 series, it's been a while) which acted like a pace car. So much fun was had. All day until we got to Maccagno in Italy was just twisties and it was tiring.

8173196921_bab16559c2_z.jpg

Swiss_Alps by heez29, on Flickr

Part of the reason we drove here...

8173225624_88c7ce772e_z.jpg

San_Bernadino by heez29, on Flickr

8173223594_210fd5bf80_z.jpg

8173191145_613fd04599_z.jpg

Stopped at a dam after the San Bernadino.

8173188777_9be17b3144_z.jpg

Dam by heez29, on Flickr

The day after we done the Stelvio Pass, no decent pictures unfortunately but it here's a video! It wasn't as good as the San Bernadino, just a tad too busy.

[video=youtube_share;8esqAOJjnyo]http://youtu.be/8esqAOJjnyo[/video]

We done the Sinsheim Museum, was fun but I get bored by museums. We stopped at Hockenheim just too see if there was anything good there. Glad we did. Decided to drive around the circuit on some random dirt track and stumbled upon the old backstraight... Drag races and rolling shots were had!

8173216844_d174d464fe_z.jpg

Hockenheimring by heez29, on Flickr

8173183733_3a27f5f317_z.jpg

Hockenheimring by heez29, on Flickr

The next day we went to the Holy Grail of motoring... The Nürburgring. The whole place is just fantastic. Even just hanging about at spots dotted about the track is somewhat entertaining, even if it's just the same cars being tested over and over. Then there's the Nordschleife itself. Never having done a track day or anything like one before I was s**tting myself a little. But as soon as you roll onto the tarmac and you put your foot down it went. So much fun was had. It helped as it was an evening Tourist Session and it was only open for 45 mins so it wasn't busy with tourists, just locals in GT3s. Had two laps and loved every minute of it. Even did the Karussell with my race spec coilovers lol.

8173210110_9b56be2f91_z.jpg

Nords by heez29, on Flickr

8173181545_cf749aa58e_z.jpg

nürburgring by heez29, on Flickr

That's pretty much it from the Euro trip. 2400 miles, 10 days, £1200 spent. Would do it again.

Now my wheels. I now have OZ Superleggeras (always loved these) in the same fitment as the Superturismos but in 15" guise. Came with some budgets on them but tried to just bare with them over the winter but unfortunately budgets are just too dangerous. I always said I'd refurb them if I got new tyres put on so I got soe Rainsport 2s. They were going Bronze until my friend who has a silver car wanted Bronze so after a gentlemens agreement, we both won't have Bronze wheels. I opted for Dark Red... They didn't end up Dark Red...

I'll let the pics to the flashing... I mean talking.

8173171379_1b3f5608f9_z.jpg

Red_Wheels by heez29, on Flickr

8173169031_a34b1428d7_z.jpg

8173166665_a6b3b1b3bb_z.jpg

8173195644_97fd22f622_z.jpg

8173162765_9abb5683a3_z.jpg

Suzuki Jimny
Re: New Wheels + Summer Road Trip!

Sounds like a good trip. Love a blast through Europe.

That ignis looks stunning!

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245

Looks like an awesome trip, always wanted to do something like that myself!
Love the new wheels too!

TTRS & V50

Brilliant.

Ignis looks a right 'doody' car (don't know what that means, but it's good).

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra

Epic looking trip and awesome pictures. Your Ignis looks great, always liked them.

Looks like a fun trip, is it wrong that I was amazed at how clear the water in the dam is? :eek:

Also, that second to last shot in the car park is awesome.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
May as well make this my project thread...

So not much has happened recently. Just been plodding away. Decided I want to sell at the start of summer then quickly realised it would be silly to sell it. It's too much fun and silly!

So I bought a brap can! Custom exhaust by a guy called Billy in Shotts. Lovely work, will get some pics at some point as it looks brilliant! It's a 2" cat back with one box and a 3" rolled tip. Need some new mounts though as the below vid shows! Not loud on idle or sitting at 70 and it makes a good note when giving it some. Definitely turning me into a hooligan!

[video=youtube_share;blRZjPg5XSY]http://youtu.be/blRZjPg5XSY[/video]

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Still wearing coloured wheels?

Also name of the company in shotts mate for future reference?

Swift Sport
No way... I had no idea you did all that! How the f**k did you manage to drive all that way on those coilovers!?!

The Ignis looks amazing dude, so different from standard :)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Complete auto solutions. Its just billy who does any welding as far as I'm aware. He unfortunately works offshore a lot and consequently I've been waiting since September! Good guy though, highly recommended. Does a lot of exhausts in the central belt!

Of course I still have the subtle wheels ;)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
No way... I had no idea you did all that! How the f**k did you manage to drive all that way on those coilovers!?!

The Ignis looks amazing dude, so different from standard :)

Still on!

It's actually is much more bearable over the channel. Every road over there is pool table smooth compared to here! Worth it for when you find those good roads here!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
So glad you finally got a brap cannon James!!

Went out in this last night and it's awesome! It's definitely turned you moar chav though as you brapped out of my street last night!! Good work.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's such a stupid little thing. I utterly love it.

What's the chance of a run in it at some point? I' m in West Lothian.

Swift Sport
The Ignis is one of those special little cars that you either appreciate or you don't. It's the 'Gangham Style' of the motoring world... A quirky, addictive and annoyingly fun little car. It's got a decent gearbox, positive steering with playful handling along with a perky little engine that feels like it's in the wrong car, because it feels like it shouldn't be as nippy as it is. They've all got Recaros and aircon along with electric windows and mirrors and will return 40+Mpg without trying too hard, and they even feel JDM and nicely put together too. While they're not 'fast' they punch well above their weight and are massively overlooked mainly due to their odd appearance. I've just bought my second and had forgotten what a great motor they are, even my brother likes it and he constantly took the p!ss when I was thinking of buying one!

fantastic looking thing, road trip looks good, i thought they'd totally ripped up the old track at Hock, must have been mad going on it.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
How was the Ignis regarding reliability? Any breakdowns or repairs?

It's been ouber reliable! He's not spent anything on repairs except disc/pads and those kind of wear and wear and year items! That's one of the reasons he didn't end up getting a clio because it would likely have more problems in the price range he was looking at!

I agree with you that the engine feels like its in the wrong car. It's not that much slower than the clio considering it weighs under a tonne out of the factory! Great little motor!

CBR1K, F21 125D
Had mine 2 years now, absolute hoot.

Not fast, but gets upto 80mph plenty fast enough for road driving!

Also doubles up as van for me with a square back and seats that go 100% flat.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Mmmmmulti-quote!!!

Also thanks for the compliments. Means a lot considering I wasn't loving it at the start of summer!

It's such a stupid little thing. I utterly love it.

What's the chance of a run in it at some point? I' m in West Lothian.

Yeh buddy, next meet/trackday/event I want to go along to anyways. Hell even if you're through Edinburgh way or I make the trip to chookterland I'll fire you a PM!

It's what I love about it, how silly it is. Even moreso with the coilovers and subtle wheels!

Like that a lot with the new wheels. Looked an epic trip its on my bucket list to drive around Europe one day.

Can only say to just do it. I want to do it again, even the same route I'd be fine with!

How was the Ignis on long journeys? Be keen to find out.

I find it ok, if the road isn't great quality it would become tiresome very quickly though. Saying that I've never found it too bad. Even with the 3.5k RPM at 70 and rock solid suspension.

The Ignis is one of those special little cars that you either appreciate or you don't. It's the 'Gangham Style' of the motoring world... A quirky, addictive and annoyingly fun little car. It's got a decent gearbox, positive steering with playful handling along with a perky little engine that feels like it's in the wrong car, because it feels like it shouldn't be as nippy as it is. They've all got Recaros and aircon along with electric windows and mirrors and will return 40+Mpg without trying too hard, and they even feel JDM and nicely put together too. While they're not 'fast' they punch well above their weight and are massively overlooked mainly due to their odd appearance. I've just bought my second and had forgotten what a great motor they are, even my brother likes it and he constantly took the p!ss when I was thinking of buying one!

Spot on mate. Couldn't add to that!

fantastic looking thing, road trip looks good, i thought they'd totally ripped up the old track at Hock, must have been mad going on it.

We only just stumbled upon it. When we started going offroad around the track to see if we could see over the barriers then all of a sudden we were on some tarmac. Was so cool though!

How was the Ignis regarding reliability? Any breakdowns or repairs?

It's been ouber reliable! He's not spent anything on repairs except disc/pads and those kind of wear and wear and year items! That's one of the reasons he didn't end up getting a clio because it would likely have more problems in the price range he was looking at!

I agree with you that the engine feels like its in the wrong car. It's not that much slower than the clio considering it weighs under a tonne out of the factory! Great little motor!

Urm yeh, what Biscuits has said. Around Euro both cars were faultless as well. Couldn't recommend Ignis's enough considering how silly cheap they can be picked up!

Had mine 2 years now, absolute hoot.

Not fast, but gets upto 80mph plenty fast enough for road driving!

Also doubles up as van for me with a square back and seats that go 100% flat.

I've lost the interior in the rear to open up that space... Also becausebrapcan.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Well not much has happened since the last update, just been using it rather than enjoying it unfortunately! Moved closer to work so its not getting used anywhere near as much so fun will be had more often!

First up was to get it ready for MOT. My headlight has been very rattly and I thought it was only held on with one bolt so I got one from a breaker and got that replaced. Decided at the same time to fit everybody's favourite splitter, a Fabia VRS one. Looks good IMO and better than my previous one of a 406. Looks a tad OEM and nowhere near in your face like some. Better than a plywood jobby as well!

Light_zpsfcced1c7.jpg

Splitter_zps9fc78807.jpg

It's been serviced and MOT'd but only just. Decided to try a different garage, one which my bro uses and are supposed to be a good bunch. Wanted to get an honest one so went with them. Failed.

Tits_zps576420a6.jpg

Raging didn't cover it. FYI it's on Suzukisport coilovers and in no way "modified". Questioned it, etc but I needed the car for the next day so I just decided to whip the original suspension back on that night and get it retested the following morning on the way to where I was needing to go. Passed.

UPUPUP_zps3ee8f75f.jpg

UPUP_zps17e6b70c.jpg

Couple of days later I whipped the coilies back on. Odd that I find it more comfortable with them on. I also decided to raise the rear slightly as I've been wanting to for a while, to give some rake and hope it doesn't hit the bumpstops anywhere near as much as it used to.

Backonthedeck_zpsbf7a6e56.jpg

Decided to try a fixed bucket, only got the one as they're cheap new and I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. It's a Corbeau Clubsport and fantastic value for money.

Seat_zps43613e06.jpg

That brings us up to today. Finally cleaned it last week properly. I think it's the first time I've spent a full day cleaning it for about a year. Still enjoying and still some plans just need to get some money together and get a second seat and a cage!

Cleanandraised_zps646794c8.jpg

Down_zps1e330597.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely thing! Can't really see the splitter though. :(

R26-Rs
I had one of these! I was the first person to get coilovers on the ignis sport, i had a set of Gaz Coilovers made for mine. Was caged, bucket seats, no dash, whiteline ARBS, Strut brace. Was a proper little fun car!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
And some proper harnesses.

Also that picture is good, I like it!

Proper harnesses are a given ;)

Love it!

I still miss mine, great things.

Can be had for cheap! Shame it probably wouldn't as good as you remember.

Lovely thing! Can't really see the splitter though. :(

I'll get some more pics at somepoint once I'm back from the Superbikes this weekend. Try and get the splitter in view!

I had one of these! I was the first person to get coilovers on the ignis sport, i had a set of Gaz Coilovers made for mine. Was caged, bucket seats, no dash, whiteline ARBS, Strut brace. Was a proper little fun car!

Gaz make a couple of models for the Ignis. Tempted to see if I can get just the rears as my SSport dampers looks a little worse for wear. Still function and don't piss oil though.
Need to polybush the front when I replace the lower arms. I can imagine when everything is tight and fresh it'd just go wherever you point it!

Amazing cars, and yours is one of best.

Ta bruv. You're black one is the inspiration lol.

Swift Sport
There's a set of SuzukiSport ones for sale somewhere, either eBay or on the forum... I was tempted too!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
So today it sold. Was a great car for the 3.5 years of bone crushing suspension!

15mg3t5.jpg