ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK 1 Old School... Turbo

Punto/Clio GTT
After 5 years with no car, ive finally bought a new one to restore ready for spring time.

ATM it aint very pretty to look at, filler/primer all over the place, bumpers hanging off and the interior ( or lack of) needs some serious TLC.

Its been sitting in my cousins garage for a few years now just been messed with every now and again, but he couldnt really be bothered with it, so i made him an offer and he took it, it now sits in my back garden ready for me to attack the bodywork and make it mint. Currently it sports 2 bucket seats, a dashboard and thats it.

So, spec;

Its a K plate 1.4RT shell, very minimal rust which is good
its running a R5GTT engine (phase 2 120bhp)
KTR camshaft and rebuilt bottom end
Brand new R5GTT intercooler
dumpvalve
PAS removed for weight saving
janspeed (?) straight through exhaust with decat
Corbeau Forza Sport bucket seats
Aluminium custom plates for doors/rear quarters/foot wells
Black Angel Eye Headlights
Battery mounted in the boot
195/50 15" alloys with new tyres all round
samco(?) hoses
lowered 55mml+ front/80mm rear

it has an induction kit and uprated brakes but i aint had chance to look at them yet to find out what they are

sorry for the s**tty phone pictures, it was raining and dark, ill try get better ones up if its dry tomorrow

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0497.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0504.jpg

PLANS

- Delock doors and tailgate, debadge tailgate and renault diamond on bonnet, sort all rust, fill all dents
- 16v bonnet then smooth renault diamond (which ill be picking up tuesday)
- modify rear bumper to accomodate exhaust
- possibly modify front bumper to allow extra airflow to intercooler
- spray most of the interior ( doors, rear 1/4, possibly floor/centre console)
- fit alluminium door/rear quarter cards which i have ready to fit, fit custom handles and window switch housings
- full respray outside
- fit roof liner, fit 16v seats and rear bench, fit rear quarter trims and parcel shelf including boot carpet
- buy new heater matrix, take out dashboard job
- while dash is out, fit in-car boost controller and plumb in oil/boost/vacuum guages and make a plate to house on dashboard
- fabricate a heat shield for one of the coolant pipes as it sits very close to turbo i believe

Cars gonna be a daily runner so im gonna get it as reliable as i possibly can, running very low boost with the in car boost controller i can turn up if needed. I just took it out with my cousin for a quick spin and it f**king flies upto 100, its scary haha, sound of the engine is awesome, im in love with it, gonna be a beast once ive worked my magic on it!

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Nice project! Have you heard of a guy called Al Taylor from Cannock who Turbo'd a red valver a few years back? Mental when it was finished, took it to the 'Ring too!

RenaultSport 172.
Nice project! Have you heard of a guy called Al Taylor from Cannock who Turbo'd a red valver a few years back? Mental when it was finished, took it to the 'Ring too!

YEAH AL!
The car was mental...Judging by what he was saying at the 'lads xmas doo' the other night, the engine should be making its way into a Williams shell next year ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dan, i've got a spare set of standard front lights if you want them?

Punto/Clio GTT
nah dunno an al taylor, tbh i aint been in car scene for ages, never been to a cs meet but i should be coming to loads over the spring/summer

and i had planned on removing the lights daniel, but when my cousin drove it to my house to drop it off, those angel ligjhts are loads brighter than standard mk1 lights, so im gonna keep them. definatly brighten up the road nicely! i hated them at first, thought they looked a bit chavy, but they look alright tbh, they have grown on me.

i do ahave a question actually. the car has ph1 bumpstrips, the thin horrible ones, are the ph2/ph3 colour coded ones a direct swap? do they fit the lines of the door and quarter?

ill be picking that bonnet/roofliner up early next week mate, did you drop fred a pm? x

Last edited:
  Punto/Clio GTT
small update of a change of plan

cars gonna be resprayed white! decided since its gotta be all done anyway ima just do a colour change!

just bought a williams spoiler and a phase 2 grille off a guy on here, weathers picking up, bodywork n lots of pictures will be coming over the next couple of weeks.

bucket seats will be up for sale once ive gave them a clean too if anyones interested, gonna be looking for around £175, with the MK1 subframes

Punto/Clio GTT
first day of progress! had sunshine all day. managed to delock the doors, weld it up n get it in fibreglass, dewipered and welded up the hole for the washer jet on tailgate too.

bumper had a big crack in it and a shoddy old repair, all grinded out and fibreglassed. ill throw pictures in tomorrow as it went dark!

tomorrow i gotta get some filler n primer n i can start filling dents n sort out the back arches as they have slight surfact rust

Punto/Clio GTT
managed to get some work done today as the weather held off!

ground out all the arches to get rid of any rust, 2 holes, couple bits of surface rust, but mostly in good condition for a K plate!

IMAG0638.jpg

O/S door welded up, fibreglassed ready for filler

IMAG0644.jpg

N/S door welded up and fibreglassed ready for filler

IMAG0648.jpg

tailgate wiper hole n washer jet hole welded up, fibreglasssed, i did grind these down and its ready for filler

IMAG0654.jpg

bumper had a big crack along it upto the middle and what looked like an exhaust cut out done with a spoon, ground it all out, pop riveted a plate, fibreglassed

IMAG0699.jpg

ground down ready for filler

IMAG0658.jpg

arch had filler on it, but it had sat for a few years so i wanted to know what was under it, pretty much nothing, good metal, only 1 hole at the bottom

IMAG0661.jpg

IMAG0682.jpg

otherside the same, hole in the same place at the bottom and slight surface rust at the top, fibreglassed, ill grind it down tomorrow

IMAG0676.jpg

mmmmm <3 the smell of fibreglass

IMAG0686.jpg

even had my 2 little helpers giving me moral support! even got a " wow nice car daddy " from ava lol and seth was taught what fibreglass does, who needs schools?

so tomorrow im gonna be grinding down the bits of fibreglass i put in and get some filler in it! ill keep ya updated

Punto/Clio GTT
decided against debadging, painted the back ones white, renault diamond will be sprayed black when ive popped it off, excuse shitty pics!

IMAG0701.jpg

IMAG0704.jpg

Punto/Clio GTT
cheers dude, didnt get anything done today as im decorating the living room, felt bad, so i painted the front badge, fumes in the bedroom ftw!

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

Punto/Clio GTT
flew in some overnight parts from japan (cheers Clio_Squeak!)

phase 2 grille, 16v spoiler n some locking wheel nuts off t'bay

IMAG0729.jpg

im thinking paint the spoiler black, will look good against the white car

Last edited:
  clio mk1
subscribed :), looking good :) keep up the progress. quick question, what fuel pump are you running? as i'm running the standard 1.4rt clio one with the r5 pressure regualor. it runs fine in 1st and second but when i get to 3rd it judders like its starving of fuel, i belive its the fuel pump? cheers :)

Punto/Clio GTT
same mate i believe. mines running VERY rich, ill be getting it tuned when its on the road. apparantly they run best slightly overfuelling and prolongs the life of the engine

clio mk1
same mate i believe. mines running VERY rich, ill be getting it tuned when its on the road. apparantly they run best slightly overfuelling and prolongs the life of the engine

Mines running rich aswell :s, but as soon as i'm at the speed to change into 3rd it wont go, i'm lucky to push 70 :( but 1st and 2nd its fine, i get to 3rd and its like it wants to cut out, same in 4th-5th, really annoying!, can hear the boost wanting to come in aha

clio mk1
already posted on there cheers anyway :), they gave me the idea that it was the fuel pump, was just curious whether you had the same set up and whether yours was running okay :), thanks for your reply

Punto/Clio GTT
got most my fillerwork done today! cut my finger though n got a couple of blisters where the sandpaper rubbed me :( been too long since i dont some proper bodywork!

gotta drop my wing off tomorrow n fill that then fill my bumper

1 dent on my sil i gotta fill then ill be ready to prime n sand the whole car!

should be ready to paint by next weekend

Punto/Clio GTT
IMAG0758.jpg

that arch is ready for primer now, its all rubbed down, just went dark

IMAG0755.jpg

ready for primer, wiper n washer jet removed

IMAG0757.jpg

im thinking about delocking the tailgate, but im unsure if i really want a popper on the outside of the car somewhere, dunno yet, ill have a think

Punto/Clio GTT
small update of yesterdays work

window recess painted outside, gonna spray inner tailgate today, then window can go back in

IMAG0780.jpg

wing filled n repaired, other one was done aswell, both ready to prime then paint the wing edges ready to refit

IMAG0779.jpg

IMAG0782.jpg

How messy i am!

IMAG0783.jpg

so yesterday i managed to get both wings repaired, dropped off and ready for primer. went over one side of the cars repairs with P180's so 1 side is ready for primer except 1 dent in the door which is only small. dropped off the inner sunroof and found out the b*****d has already been sealed!!, so im gonna reseal round everything on the inside of the roof and also seal around the aerial.

today i gotta p180 the other side of the cars repairs ready for primer, paint the whole of the inside of the tailgate, prime the wings, prime the repairs if i get time, and maybe take the seats out and give it a clean as its full of dust. also gotta finish my repair on the rear bumper where it was cracked, but thats nearly done

another busy day, but it aint far off painting now!

Attachments

• IMAG0780.jpg
    IMAG0780.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 107
  Punto/Clio GTT
f**k me, its too hot to be rubbing filler down!

ok, N/S rear quarter ready for primer

IMAG0785.jpg

i think the filler at the bottom of the drivers door is the only fillerwork left to do, so f**king pleased its all done, gone through a fill tin!

IMAG0788.jpg

drivers door ready to prime except the filler at the bottom

IMAG0789.jpg

rear bumper, PROPER pain in the arse. ground it all out, put a plate in, fibreglassed, filled, nearly got it all ready for prime and i dropped the bumper, cracked where id repaired, pissed off is an understatement, i was gonna snap it in half n buy a new bumper. grabbed a beer, calmed down, then redid it all again, new plate, fibreglassed n filled. its now ready for a good wetflat as its furred up quite a bit due to it being a big repair n using P80

IMAG0793.jpg

sanded out all the chips on the top of it aswell

IMAG0796.jpg

O/S rear quarter filled and primed, ready for guidecoat n wetsanding down

IMAG0791.jpg

Both wings, filled, primed, out in the sun drying. also prepped n primed the wing mirrors

IMAG0792.jpg

Tailgate gotta have couple things stripped, quick scotchbrite then ill paint it afterwards ready to drop back on tomorrow

IMAG0798.jpg

excited im nearly done!

Punto/Clio GTT
back wheels finally back on and off axle stands! wheels are gonna be powdercoated gloss black eventually

IMAG0799.jpg

N/S quarter filled n primed

IMAG0801.jpg

N/S door ready to prime, will do that tomorrow

IMAG0802.jpg

and o/s door ready to prime, will also do that tomorrow

IMAG0803.jpg

woohoo, fillerwork done, fun bits now, prime it, then sand it all over

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Coming on real well mate.

(Those wheels are utter pony!! Get some standard ph2 valver wheels on there)

Punto/Clio GTT
i agree mate, but they came with the car, brand new, brand new tyres all round too, done about 5 miles on em

i think when theyve been powdercoated black you wont really see em tbh, thats what im hoping anyway lol

Punto/Clio GTT
oh and one of my wheel bolts wouldnt tighten up properly, it was just spinning, is that a new drum? or something inside the drum ill need too?

Punto/Clio GTT
finally got round to doing a bit on the car this week, weather had picked up. few s**tty pics from the sisters phone as i forgot my camera

sunroof was leaking, had been bonded before but it had perished, cut that out which was a bit of a ballache, but its all bonded back in now and not leaking!

IMG00588-20120619-1341.jpg

IMG00589-20120619-1341.jpg

IMG00590-20120619-1341.jpg

me hard at work!

IMG00593-20120619-1342.jpg

sunroof out, completely stripped, cleaned and put back together

IMG00594-20120619-1342.jpg

pic of my new 16v seats, seats are immaculate, no wear or tear, no marks, nothing. gotta pick up subframes and a few other bits off matbrown in the week so they will be bolted down. managed to rip up the floor pan alloy sheets that had been bonded in, didnt think they would come up but i managed it, carpet gonna be going in aswell which im happy about

IMG00597-20120619-1343.jpg

then today it was raining so couldnt do alot, sanded and sprayed a couple of the interior roof trims from cloudy gray to black, think im gonna do the top dash too as they came out really nice, excuse s**tty pics

IMG00728-20120623-1919.jpg

IMG00729-20120623-1920.jpg

IMG00733-20120623-1945.jpg

finished ALL the fillerwork now, repaired the bonnet and smoothed the diamond recess, have got pics but sister aint emailed them to me yet

all thats left now is to sand out the scratches and wetsand the whole car. i predict the car will be painted in 2-3 weeks

IMG00602-20120619-1346.jpg

this week im gonna be fitting the seat subframes, carpet, parcel shelf, parchel shelf inner arch plastics, rear seatbelts and sanding the whole car ready to paint, busy busy!

Last edited:
  Rb 182
I was so happy to see a update on this thread. Love the mk1s still, seeing them at FCS made me want another.

Ps Should have plated over the sunroof and it would have NEVER* leaked again.

100_2943.jpg

*(Thats a total lie, mines still leaked like a friday night *****, the GF hated the clio shower)

Punto/Clio GTT
pmsl it still leaked??? what you do, rivet and bond it?

i did have a sheet of perspex i was gonna cut down to size and bolt/bond it down, but i just went for cutting it all out and resealing it, ill probably need to do it again next year!