ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

20vKarlos' - Renault Clio 172 - Track Car Project - Possible Disaster

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

2BBA19FE-535C-4ADC-B098-C74CC06DAAF9_zpskr7ydkb9.jpg

1CB6F079-5F91-4C0D-8D6C-04A70A7F3926_zpsz1t3md0i.jpg

:stig::stig:​
Love the car cover pal. I can't believe you've not shared where you got it from though[emoji23]

Love the car cover pal. I can't believe you've not shared where you got it from though[emoji23]

🙈😂😂.... my wife almost killed me!

Her words "Those are the girls first matching bed set"
My words "Well there about to be mismatched with paint on" 😂

I don't like car covers, and I'd certainly NEVER put any thing on a car I was detailing etc... but i had an epic fail moment when I lifted the paint pot up the other night 😂

1C36C1B2-AF1D-4C11-9D7D-46331F28E594_zpsyosl1gam.jpg

Went down to the Unit this morning (04:30) and got a load more painting done.

I still needed a walkway to the light switch and I'll be painting the shutter door area in due course.

856E7397-099B-4205-821E-60A7B9DB5734_zps53yvbyg7.jpg

CB7AA72D-E027-4D3C-853A-43BD63F03C54_zpsn7abz8du.jpg

That's all for now, I shall hopefully have some parts on order very soon :blush:

-
---
-----

Morning all...

Just got in from a brief visit to the unit this morning.

I've painted all of the 'Walkway' patches and I've got a small amount of the floor paint left for any touch ups that'll need to be done. :up:

The extension cord was a WARNING guide for me... DONT CROSS THIS LINE THE PAINT IS WET!😂

7B8A743F-3AB1-468A-829B-6E430FBEC28C_zpse0n8im59.jpg

In other news, I've bought this...

27213B9E-7DD9-4F8D-9582-11D56B32BBFB_zpsptexdgco.png

...cheap, cheerful and mainly for my obsessive need for labelling everything... however it'll come in very handy for one particular car related job :wink:

And I've bought these for the unit after very good reviews...

EC4B217A-F9D9-4573-89D9-D0302FE8AEB8_zpszseiv7oa.png

I'm still on track to move things in on Sunday... :smile:

-----
---
-​

-
---
-----

I popped down to the lock up in the race bus earlier, just to see what painting still needed to be touched in before I fill it up with car parts :laughing:
There are only two small sections that I should have enough in the tin to do.

Whilst I was there, I wanted to see whether the Alhambra would go in straight.

Results

CBA68656-4678-4959-BECE-5BF9C1033444_zps5nqzzjg2.jpg

6C7AE994-E8BA-4A80-B479-30DBC981BA46_zps5vncquq8.jpg

That's a NO then...Literally a foot!

Not to worry though as there is plenty of space in the lock up and I'm not likely to have the Superb or the Alhambra in the lock up very often, it'll be only for Detailing purposes.
Hopefully I'll get them both in with a bit of Jiggery Pokery :up:

We will see what happens next week...

In Clio News... The Extra Low seat bases have arrived, very quick delivery on those...Thanks to @JON FOZ

Massive update will be next week :smile:

Thanks all
-----
---
-​

-
---
-----

Evening all, I shall do a rather large update later tonight/tomorrow morning, when I get back from the Unit again but I thought I'd leave you with a peak at what's arrived today... there's more to come :wink:

68981C75-A74E-4726-BD23-206E9E163685_zpszjotd8p3.jpg

-----
---
-​

-
---
-----

UPDATE TIME!

Apologies in advance I've been storming on, so photos are a minimum at the minute...

Right gents,
On Monday after much bartering, I finally placed an order with DemonTweeks.
I then went to the lock up with all of my gear and set about getting settled in.

Firstly, moved the Clio to the other side and then swung the Superb in.
FB44ED9B-500E-4AA0-B9D1-FE61E15AE60C_zps3qwsaagk.jpg

I built the two shelves that I'd ordered, these are great value for money. Once I'd done that and emptied the Superb, I loaded the Superb with pretty much every interior part except the dash!!

I then set about tidying & labelling up wires so I'd have a good chance at starting the car once I'd finished cutting.
Whilst I tidied the rear wiring, I took the spoiler off so I could get rid of the pipe work for the rear washer jet, then gave the area a good clean. I also cut the wiring to the Aerial as I won't need it and I also cleaned underneath that also.

2250C287-CB22-4AB8-9ADA-C02B7892EDCC_zpsvo2qzfqc.jpg

40529FC7-D465-4643-8FB7-7D85CBBE293D_zpsxzdi7tnh.jpg

I then made my way to the front, came across a few issues but I made SLOW progress.
Progress was slow as I was labelling every connector possible, mainly so that I A) Knew what it was for and B) Ideally I don't cut the wrong wires 🙈

Head unit coming out
8A1BE81F-2FFB-4699-8704-2E5A6E4966DB_zpslgmasfil.jpg

Airbag out
8B86BDF5-F7DE-47CB-BEA8-0D941708FA93_zpskgbchuxx.jpg

I then got the steering wheel off.

8BBA2FAA-8E5B-4382-8639-090E29BBD2CB_zpso27pmljy.jpg

Labelling these I took a guess that...
Black top left plug is headlights & indicators
Yellow - Airbag???
White - wipers
Then there's the two I'm holding???
No idea if I need to keep them or what they're for???

0DB85CFF-D7C7-4EB2-8117-775580DC1C90_zpsclsyiyy9.jpg

That was the last picture I took tonight... but I got quite a lot more done.

- Upper and Lower Dash are both out
- All wires are labelled (except ones I have no idea what they're for)
- Interior loom is out (Well I say out, it's still in the car being held in by the alarm wiring)
- Wipers Removed
- Scuttle Removed
- Washer bottle out (Needs cleaning)

Next
- Cut as much loom out as possible, being very careful along the way.
- Decide If I want the lower dash put back in.
- Get sticky! & Remove sound deadening
- Clean Interior
- Re-fit dieted wiring Loom
- Start the car and hope for the best 😂

Here's what I've bought so far...:hearteyes:

29EE1565-45A3-4E1E-8237-420A9076E307_zpsm4ybmq6j.jpg

Spare fuel for track days :up:
CC8CE57C-A8FD-408C-A1F0-B7096E57D749_zpsknfr0mwn.jpg

Aerocatch set... Shall I order a Fibreglass bonnet :tonguewink:
3E241055-7AF6-4BDB-9DFB-F682EA4B2963_zpshiprd2v5.jpg

OMP Targa Suede :hearteyes:
BCBE96BE-BCB5-412D-BFC5-29CDD4A32DDA_zps50tuvubp.jpg

OMP Boss kit
BA22B9A2-5B66-421E-9DDA-477AB38F82E4_zpsa1pexvv8.jpg

OMP Belt Pads
Probably wondering where the harnesses are... they're on order too :smile:
68981C75-A74E-4726-BD23-206E9E163685_zpszjotd8p3.jpg

Whiteline RARB
FCBEA868-295C-4DA8-9E98-94423F9C04CF_zpsm2ycaxsw.jpg

So...

Awaiting delivery
- Seats
- Harnesses

Still need
- Wheels & Tyres
- Service Parts

Still want
Well... LOADS :smile:😂

Few questions...

- Can I cut out Alarm and still have a working Renault?
- Anyone know if there is a smaller Renault washer bottle I can install with just one outlet hole?

Loads more questions... I'll be back after some sleep

Thanks for looking​

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Superb progress mate, very jealous of your little unit :)

No reason why you couldn't use a pot spec washer bottle with just the one pump, these pumps are different to sport ones so make sure you get one with a pump attached.

I'd hazard a guess the wiring on the left of your hand would be for radio controls, and the right is part of the steering angle sensor?? (I've never taken one of these off so can't be certain I'm afraid) if the one on the left is for radio Co tools then you should be able to follow it back to the centre dash display and unclip out the back of said unit

Ads

I bleached my washer bottle.... came up like new :up:

This is probably the cheapest option, but I'm not sure if I can blank off the Headlight washer pump and the rear washer pipe.

Superb progress mate, very jealous of your little unit :smile:

No reason why you couldn't use a pot spec washer bottle with just the one pump, these pumps are different to sport ones so make sure you get one with a pump attached.

I'd hazard a guess the wiring on the left of your hand would be for radio controls, and the right is part of the steering angle sensor?? (I've never taken one of these off so can't be certain I'm afraid) if the one on the left is for radio Co tools then you should be able to follow it back to the centre dash display and unclip out the back of said unit
Ads

I think I'm just going to disconnect the pump for the headlamp washer jets, then ill blank the rear hose off.
If I get serious in terms of weight reduction in the engine bay, I shall probably modify a plastic carton :laughing:😂

If they're radio controls they'll be coming out. As for the circular part... if this is a sensor, will it matter if it disappears?? :grin:

-
---
-----

Well it's that time again...

Last night I got the wiring out of the car.
I'd labelled all of the connectors whilst it was in the car to make things easier.
Anything that I was getting rid of was simply cut out.

About to get the wiring out
D15C7665-AF5A-4C5F-83E0-3E32979E9905_zpsrqabjjd5.jpg

Loom out :up:
EE38534C-5639-4696-8E1F-4A9D5A4923A9_zpsdr4yvmph.jpg

Wires cut out
81A111C7-9FA6-4C2B-B41B-C1C36CC7E7D0_zpsc00or3nx.jpg

Chopped loom
4122CD7D-5F82-490E-8F56-09908F82DF2B_zpsd4wdttc2.jpg

Before I put the loom back in, I wanted to see where my washer bottle was leaking from.
Sure enough it's sprit by the front washer jet motor

I tried a Plastic bodge, but it was never going to work, I just had nothing to loose in trying.
So, New washer bottle is needed.
334D9A1D-1D20-49DE-8717-31861122FBE1_zps71ws94na.jpg

Whilst I was there I blanked off the motors
53DA2657-4F0F-4DF7-A7FA-8923777DD6C5_zps4ky57k4f.jpg

DA487E2B-422A-4646-9DEC-66F5F60D0969_zpscppo8oeu.jpg

I then had to get the sound deadening off the floor and into the bin :smile:

869FCC77-767E-4C4D-92A5-8805DD336859_zpstz3ogo4g.jpg

F36F62E7-6D01-49BE-9A79-6D96F5771FB6_zpsh6zkehtz.jpg

Trying to get as much done inside the car as possible, before the seats and mounts go in

A few more bits to follow after I've been to sleep

Thanks all
-----
---
-​

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
you certainly are giving it the full works, bought mine for £600, spent £650 on it (Inc 300 for tyres) and i'm pretty much ready to go on the track.
Lydden, then Brands then Donnington atm

Bet yours will be fab- you touching the engine much? or exhaust manifold?

No going back now mate [emoji38]. Give the inside a lairy colour, I dare ya!

I did think that... but I'm fairly happy with it.
I need to get the airbag light out/covered
The Service light is on too, but I'm not sure this will bother me at all.

Now I know it all works, I shall get the wires covered and perhaps loose the centre clock/ unit. I thought it would still be useful but it's going :up:

you certainly are giving it the full works, bought mine for £600, spent £650 on it (Inc 300 for tyres) and i'm pretty much ready to go on the track.
Lydden, then Brands then Donnington atm

Bet yours will be fab- you touching the engine much? or exhaust manifold?

A few bits will happen in the engine bay but it'll see a day or two out on track before I start Fettling with it :up:

-
---
-----

So, I did manage to get the wiring all back into the car for a test run, however, I can sense that it's not earthing or I've got some live wires not cut and taped up properly and touching metalwork :grin:

Why... well, when I was touching metal (battery connected) I was having electricity pulses in my hands 😂😂

It's funny as I know it's just a case of me taking out the loom again and wrapping it all up correctly. I hope 🙈😂

All fitted
A2302C07-83E7-47DA-89B0-12ED035403FB_zpsgrkqpfc1.jpg

The loom is coming back out of the car next week, it'll have the centre clock console deleted.

Then I'm looking into making a plate from a light material that I can mount the Heater controls and hazards switch panel.

I'll make some cardboard mock ups at some point.

Then it'll be time to fit all of the interior parts and mock them up where I want them etc

Once I am happy with how the interior is looking, I shall get the wheels off, brakes off and fit all of my new parts.

Hopefully I'll have wheels by then too :stig:

Also got a little further with this bolt!
I'd really like to drill it out as I really don't want it to be sticking out, but it's being a pain in the arse, so a grinder will be on order shortly, so I can get rid of this bench!

F3715B94-EC4E-461A-96FB-1301E9547BE0_zps1lzpzcvw.jpg

That was the last thing I did with the car last night (yesterday morning for all you normal people)

Also thought I'd show you the Shelving units. I am really happy with them :smile:
(Also the goodies on the shelves :up:)

8859DBF0-8BA8-459E-9BBF-785C7BEFB892_zpsxuztslef.jpg

A327ED6C-D05B-43C6-AA42-289825B20BD0_zps1hzh8hmi.jpg

That's all for now... More to come bext week :up:

Thanks

-----
---
-​

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
good to know how you get on with that bolt. I'm collecting a roll cage over weekend, and after my MOT early May the rear seats are coming out too, and guessing i'll battle this bolt as well

Be handy to see how you deal with it

good to know how you get on with that bolt. I'm collecting a roll cage over weekend, and after my MOT early May the rear seats are coming out too, and guessing i'll battle this bolt as well

Be handy to see how you deal with it

I'll be ordering a grinder very shortly 😂

That's the last resort now I think 🙈

Great work Karlos :up:
I keep thinking about reducing my loom but the risk vs reward is too high imo.

I agree with that bud, but as I'd got to the point where half of the dash was already out, I figured, there is only one way to learn.

The loom will be back out Next week and hopefully by then I'll have the nonstick tape to tidy the loom.
I need a soldiering iron too.. the list is endless 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I hadn't looked in your thread for a while, you were still struggling with the garage last time i did but what a change! That workspace looks 10x bigger/better now its painted, i'm very jealous.
Hopefully you don't come across too many issues when stripping your loom. Looks like you're doing it right with labelling everything! I'd really love to strip out something, bet it's proper satisfying + Clios look proper cool stripped too.

I believe you can remove the alarm with no effects on the immobiliser mate, but just wait for someone else to confirm. Look forward to more updates.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Alarms usually seperate with taps into door/boot/bonnet switches and hazards. Easy to remove.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Forgot to say, my alarm was piggybacked into the original loom, but it was an aftermarket cobra alarm so that may make a difference, anyway I stripped it out and cut back to the points where it joined the loom with no issues at all

Something to consider with the switch panel is when youre strapped in you only have arms length, so they may need bringing closer to you a bit.

I shall only need the Hazards and Climate buttons, so hoping I can make something with the limited tools I have. But this is a good point.

Thanks

I hadn't looked in your thread for a while, you were still struggling with the garage last time i did but what a change! That workspace looks 10x bigger/better now its painted, i'm very jealous.
Hopefully you don't come across too many issues when stripping your loom. Looks like you're doing it right with labelling everything! I'd really love to strip out something, bet it's proper satisfying + Clios look proper cool stripped too.

I believe you can remove the alarm with no effects on the immobiliser mate, but just wait for someone else to confirm. Look forward to more updates.

Took a while but we finally got here, hopefully weekly updates from now onwards.

i may be popping over to Hastings then

You're more than welcome to bud

Forgot to say, my alarm was piggybacked into the original loom, but it was an aftermarket cobra alarm so that may make a difference, anyway I stripped it out and cut back to the points where it joined the loom with no issues at all

My alarm is a cobra, connects to the hazards and interior lock switch on the inside, other than that there aren't any connections on the interior.

Do you think it's worth taking out?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I ripped mine out mate, it had a habit of keeping the hazards flashing when driving lol, it's been out for well over a year with no issues at all :)

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Good progress being made!! :up:

I'm in the middle of tackling the wiring on my cup. Was thinking about cutting the alarm and all the crash sensors out but worried it wouldn't start after haha.

How much have you cut out and did you just follow the wiring to a plug and cut it off flush to the plug?

Good progress being made!! :up:

I'm in the middle of tackling the wiring on my cup. Was thinking about cutting the alarm and all the crash sensors out but worried it wouldn't start after haha.

How much have you cut out and did you just follow the wiring to a plug and cut it off flush to the plug?

Airbag loom, Speakers, Radio, Centre dash display & Alarm.

I think that's it:laughing:

dan's cast offs.
Do they pull out easily then?

Not in my experience... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but at the bulkhead end of the cabling, mine didn't want to pull out easily.

Would have bee good if it had though.

you can get a proper tool for getting them out, generally just held in by a little tag. if you're like me you can do it the cheapskate way and use pins or paper clips!!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I missed your thread until now. Great progress so far. I remember looking a the car while I was after mine as well, the advert was pretty unique :D

I'll look forward to following it all.

-
---
-----

So........

I'm Track Ready.........​

316F6E75-C12C-43DA-A855-06C32F4B6D4D_zpspw9ewkps.jpg

Ok so not quite..😂😂

Seats will be here 16th May
Wheels will be ordered shortly as I've not managed to find any elsewhere

So.....
I've got these two bolts out of the car now...

51C4A610-E44B-48D3-91E4-9083D70FC934_zpsrpiwrhvi.jpg

97F94ABD-BB0A-4708-BD82-4CFA1E447113_zpsj43f1ewv.jpg

Leaving me with a nice empty interior

4F84CA37-788C-4E1F-8369-92DE9692359B_zpso9zyjg0p.jpg

What a mission that was with only a drill at hand....
I'll be tidying up the rest of the mess shortly

I had a little bit of Jelsol left and thought I'd give it a go on the remaining tar/Glue on the car...
let's just say.. LIGHT WORK!!

1608EF25-E416-4DB5-8B08-293045D7CF9A_zps5anmo5be.jpg

This stuff is brilliant for the remaining tar and glue and I always recommend it to EVERYONE!!
Spray on and seconds later, wipe off

Went from this

F36F62E7-6D01-49BE-9A79-6D96F5771FB6_zpsh6zkehtz.jpg

To this... in about 10 minutes

FB010680-4427-45D7-8E65-7562405840F0_zpsrhfsubko.jpg

There are a few areas that I'll need to go over again but I had a very little amount left so just did what I could.
I've order more and that'll arrive over the next few days.

I then got the wiring all back in after my recent alarm removal.
The car DIDNT START!
I shat myself thinking I'd fucked it all up...
I then look inside the car and spot the Earth strap that I deliberately leave off (my way of immobilising the car)
I got the car started
Moved it to a better location in the workshop
Mainly so that I can sort anything underneath the car, but I can also get the Corsa in too now

The car is now up on two stands and will be up on the other two later tonight.
I've removed the carbon canister...
(no idea what I removed from behind the N/S bumper no though, as I thought it was the carbon canister 🙈 )
Brakes should all be off tonight.

Need a new CV Boot (possibly the joint too) on the O/S

39AFD533-6537-4B93-A793-D83E60A7CCF0_zpsiizzgeei.jpg

0EAFE9CA-36E2-4659-9EBA-33239D514FF4_zpsu6gqgufj.jpg

That's all for now
There has been a lot more happening but I shall update you all later

More things ordered...and more things ripped out...

I'm enjoying this so far!

Thanks all

Karlos:up:

-----
---
-

Loving the 'track' seat lol, glad to hear you got the alarm removed OK too

Only trouble I've got when that seat is in the car..... I can't close the door :laughing:😂

Should've seen me trying to steer the car, whilst holding the door and trying my Dan hardest not to hit the nice fresh shutter door as I couldn't see out of the drivers side wing mirror 🙈