ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

206 GTI or 172

325ci sport cab 2004

I know its a dumb question to put on a clio specific forum but im keen on buying a 172/cup, theres a couple on the for sale section that sound good and if I can ill go and have a look at them I will (2 babies plus wife to consider first). HOWEVER, someone at my work is selling a standard silver 03 plate 206 GTI with only 12k on it, hed let it go for £6400 which is seriously cheap. For me the 172 wins everytime but I just cant ignore the price and the possibility that it wil still be fun and if I get bored of it I could sell it on. Sound good?

unless its a GTI 180 dont bother... and this is coming from someone whos not a great fan of the 172 (or 17poo as I like to call it :D)

106 GTi

I wouldnt even bother with the 180 either. Both 180 and 138 are not worth going for even more so when compared to a 172.

Have you seen the GTi or 180 in group tests for hothatches with the 172/182 ..... exactly they dont normally even warrant getting into the top 3/5 in mags. The clio is the better car by a long shot.

Suzuki SV1000S

For the price and mileage I would get the pug if it was a 180, then sell it on in 6 months for the same price

Cup 172

Test drove a 180gti before buying my cup. Was quick ish, but never felt fast (which was a bit odd). Handling was a bit dull and it never felt special. Seats were nice though...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The "normal" 206 GTi is a sack of sh!t, I wanted one a few years back to replace my 106 GTi and after driving a few I bought a 306 Rallye instead.

The 172 runs rings round it...

Dirty E91

I used to have a 206 gti before I got my 182, imo I wouldnt touch the 206 if the other choice was a 172 (cup or std).

I used to have a 206 GTI (138). Dont buy one its nothing like a 172. The mondeos at work had better handling and would pull away from me on a motorway.

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 22 July 2005
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">The "normal" 206 GTi is a sack of sh!t, I wanted one a few years back to replace my 106 GTi and after driving a few I bought a 306 Rallye instead.The 172 runs rings round it...

Ive had both, and I couldnt agree more. 206 GTi 138 is a turd on wheels.

325ci sport cab 2004

Wow Wee.

Thanks for all the replies guys, the Pug would only of been bought to sell on for a profit, didnt realise you all felt so strongly about them, good know what youd say about my 440 volvo on a 94/L plate;)

Dirty E91

Never driven a Vulva 440 so cant comment, but you couldnt sell the Pug for a profit, its a french car for starters!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Peugeot have lost their way in the hot hatch department, theyve had some superb sports models, but currently they suck!

This is coming from me a big Peugeot fan...

For the money the pug is a lot cheaper with lower miles and newer. Seats are similar unless you get the full leather jobs which work a treat.

tiTTy & SV650

gti 180 looks great in and out IMO but id have the 172 over it and without question 172 over the normal gti

MKIII 138

they look a bit old now though. the 172 is heading into classic car territory when the new model comes out, it will always be cool me thinks where as pugs well there 10,00000000000000 a shilling.

172 Exclusive

Same choice i had when i was getting my car, the 172 was slightly dearer to buy but i sure made the right choice.

I saw a 206 GTI the other day, and i smiled to myself knowing id made the right decision. :)

Having owned a 206 GTi and now a 182, I can say its quite a tough choice in my opinion if looking at new cars 182 everythime but in yyour case im not so sure....... In summary

182 better drivers car (But 206 isnt bad)

182 much faster

206, still fairly quick will beat zetec s and such like and was never too far behind my mates 172.

admitedly comparing bad with worse but i would say the 206 has a slightly better interior and is certainly bigger in the back if you are ever going to use the back seats.

Finally i recently sold my GTi 02 plate for not much less than your being quoted and that had done 36000 miles.

RS-1, Bebop, CTR

Quote: Originally posted by 182jc on 30 August 2005

182 better drivers car (But 206 isnt bad)

182 much faster

206, still fairly quick will beat zetec s and such like and was never too far behind my mates 172.

are u talking bout the GTi 180?

Red Clio 197 F1

Bought a new 206 GTI 3+ years ago after having a Williams, and have loved Hot Hatch Pugs for ages.

However the 206 was a sack of sh1t. 50 steps back for Pug and I think they have lost their way completely. I traded in mine after 11 months :D

172 is a great little car.

Mondeo STTDCI

Its all well and good but the 206 is fooking cheap. Id buy it and in the meantime find a decent 172. Then sell the 206 for a small profit.