ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 whistling noise at around 80mph (with video)

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Only had the car for a few weeks, but noticed this whistling noise a couple weeks ago.

Recorded on the way home from work tonight:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LuUPbRGL8XE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've had a bit of work done to the car since buying it; belts, dephaser, oil, filters, brembo disc and pads, 4 tyres, etc.

Anyone experienced a noise like this before? only seems to happen at around 80mph.

182cup & 172 racecar
Top windscreen rubbers, you will more than likely find, one or both have come lose.

I had the same, stuck them down with a little silicon, job done.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Checked the top windscreen rubber, seems pretty solid. The corner pieces weren't too great, so tried sticking them down with some electrical tape and went out to test it, but it was no better.

I pulled over to check the car over and noticed the lower plastic covers below the window screen were loose, drivers side move than the passenger side, tried taping these down with the little tape I had, but again to different. I'll re look at the lowers again tomorrow.

Any more suggestions?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
It sounds dreadful, I can't live with it like that. Going to try and get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

182cup & 172 racecar
Have you done a search on here? I know some have said it comes through the light fitting, can't see it myself.

WRX
Have you got a spoiler on your wiper? Could be that as it was happening on mine because the spoiler was the wrong way round.

172 Cup
Have you got aero wipers? On mine the drivers side doesn't fit snug to the screen right at the edge so whistles when goin fast!

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I had the exact same noise, mine was coming from where the scuttle panel meets the bottom of the windscreen.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Had a play around this morning with some electrical tape. Fixed the plastic scuttle panel down best I could (drivers side was loose), then realised the panel was actually raised from the screen slightly, so taped everything down including the top rubber seal and corner sections. This sorted the problem out, so I then removed the tape to the lower panel and the noise returned, though not anywhere near as bad, and disappeared again at about 85 to 90. So just need to find a better way of sealing the lower scuttle panel down. Maybe some all weather sealant or something to stick it down?

Thanks for the advise guys.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Had a play around this morning with some electrical tape. Fixed the plastic scuttle panel down best I could (drivers side was loose), then realised the panel was actually raised from the screen slightly, so taped everything down including the top rubber seal and corner sections. This sorted the problem out, so I then removed the tape to the lower panel and the noise returned, though not anywhere near as bad, and disappeared again at about 85 to 90. So just need to find a better way of sealing the lower scuttle panel down. Maybe some all weather sealant or something to stick it down?

Thanks for the advise guys.

I used tiger seal. Worked a treat and it's not returned since.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I have this noise, but at higher speeds, 85-90+
Proper annoying, and so loud, I hear it over the yozza.
I put it down to the small crack I have on top of windscreen but it may be the lower seals now you've found that out :)

I'll test it

192'd BG 182 FF
Had this since i got the car. Had the windscreen replaced due to a large stone chip/beginning to crack. Absolutely no whilsting noise now, i know it isn't a viable option for everyone but it has to be to do with the rubbers etc.