ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 spluttering and cutting out

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Only had the car for about 3 weeks now. But seem to have a problem with it splutting and cutting out that seems to be getting worse.

Initially, i noticed it spluttering slightly when pulling away or speeding up, then returning to normal, this only lasted a second or two, and only happened a couple of times in the space of a week I'd say.

Then about a week ago when i was travelling for a site visit for work, the car cut out completely at a junction after maybe 15 minutes of driving in slow traffic, but then turned back on straight away, and seemed to run fine for the remaining journey to site. This day I drove about 180 miles round trip. Had another episode of the spluttering again on the motorway twice on the way home though, first time the car just wanted to slow slightly, before returning to normal. Then the second time i was accelerating onto the motorway, when it started spluttering, I almost came to a complete stop before it returned to normal this time.

Ordered a new set of plugs, leads and a coil pack when i got back to the office, which i've not yet fitted, but will this weekend in the hope this will sort the problem.

I also noticed last week that the car seemed to be down on power until around 6.5k before having a bit of a kick as the power seemed to come back. As i though the leads or coil pack might have been the issue, i pulled over and fiddled around with them. The car appeared to be back to normal after that for a few days.

Anyway, last night I had to pick some stuff up from the shops which is approx 1.5 miles from the house, got there fine. But on leaving i accelerated out of the entrance to the shop upto about 35mph pretty quickly and the car completely cut out, it was pretty wet and the ESP was flashing and probably cutting power to stop the wheel spinning, i rolled into another junction and parked the car up. started up again straight away though, so tried to drive home and it cut out at a roundabout a few hundred yards further down the road. Again the car started up straight away after that and drove home fine.

Then this morning on the way to work, i tried to overtake a slow car on a dual carriageway and the car spluttered again, though this time the ESP light and SERV light came on, car didn't stop and drove normally almost straight away. Stopped the car when it was safe to do so, and turned it on and off and the lights dissappeared and stayed off the rest of the journey.

Anyone any ideas to what else this could be?

I'm thinking it could be fuel related now, fuel pump maybe on its may out, or a bad connection somewhere.

Looking to spend saturday morning trying to fix the issue as after that i'll be strapped for time until the following weekend. May end up dropping it off to Diamond Motors if i cant sort it this weekend myself and mick has time to look at it for me, but could do with not losing the car really.