ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Clutch - Major Surgery!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Well, from day one, my clutch has always been lumpy when warm and makes a noise. I have taken it to dealers twice and they say theres nothing wrong (its always cold when they test it!), even my dad tried it and said there was nothing wrong.

Which became very frustrating when you know there is something wrong but no-one else can detect it!

At Brands on Friday it seems to get worse and was making quite a noise as a few people pointed out so after a long drive on Saturday I took it to the dealer and asked for a technician to come and feel the pedal and listen to the noise it was making.

Finally I got a result, he told me the clutch was faulty and is rubbing/grating on itself within the box. The result is that I need a new one and to get to it they have to take the gearbox out!!!!!! This is apparently an 8 hour job and then 2 hours to replace the clutch so its a 2 day job!

I am just happy that it is now going to get sorted before something went badly wrong but its pretty major surgery for my baby.

Was just wondering if anybody else had experienced the same of a lumpy clutch when warm?

Thanks for listening

Chocolate Bar™

my clutch is making a noise when its warm but i think it may just be a dry joint in the actual pedal.

also - what do mean by lumpy? is it when pushing the clutch in you get a hard area that makes it lumpy?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 09 May 2005

The result is that I need a new one and to get to it they have to take the gearbox out!!!!!!
And there was me thinking it just slotted in that little cubby hold under the passenger seat! :p

dk

911 GTS Cab

as you push it in and let it our it judders rather than being smooth, plus there is a sound like a cable is rubbing.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 09 May 2005

The result is that I need a new one and to get to it they have to take the gearbox out!!!!!!
And there was me thinking it just slotted in that little cubby hold under the passenger seat! :p
why, is that where the clutch is in your cup, oh I mean mini;)

how did you know you even had a clutch dave - i heard you dont bother with it. Just ram it in ;-)

/y0z

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 09 May 2005

why, is that where the clutch is in your cup, oh I mean mini;)
Oooooh thats low even by your pathetically low standards ;o) Wait till my mini owns your ass at Brands... ;o)

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Clutch is crap on my Vee too :cry: Its got a roughness that is particularly obvious in low gears ... pulling away with any beans in 1st is horrible. In any gear if you rest your foot lightly on the clutch and you can feel gravel. I fear a similar drastic warranty job will be required :(

172 cup TT

dave you see my thread recently on my clutch problems?.. they were saying it could be wear and tear and charge me £750 to supply and fit!... it turns out that it made a hole in the gear box so its in right now for a new gear box AND clutch under warranty... phew!...

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 09 May 2005
dave you see my thread recently on my clutch problems?.. they were saying it could be wear and tear and charge me £750 to supply and fit!... it turns out that it made a hole in the gear box so its in right now for a new gear box AND clutch under warranty... phew!...

no i didnt, but i should be ok as I had already been to the the dealer and had it in to them twice before in the first few thousand miles and they claimed there was nothing wrong so I have just managed to get them to admit it after 22k miles!

So if there are any problems, its their fault for not believeing me and fixing it earlier!

can you let me know the link for your thread please?

thanks

Lee

BMW M2C

If you drove it harder whatever was rubbing would have just worn away. :p

Ive never had any problems with mine, just the clicking from the pedal, but my 172 did that also.

Good that they finally worked it out well under warranty mate.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 09 May 2005
If you drove it harder whatever was rubbing would have just worn away. :p

Ive never had any problems with mine, just the clicking from the pedal, but my 172 did that also.

Good that they finally worked it out well under warranty mate.

it was more frustrating than anything that I was the only one that could feel it but as a few people from brands will tell you, it was making a pretty loud sound at the end of the day to make it pretty obvious!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I f**king told you.

"its always done that"

Thats because its always been bust!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 09 May 2005

I f**king told you.

"its always done that"

Thats because its always been bust!
LOL, mate I know, its just after 2 trips to a dealer and they insist nothing is wrong you just wanna wait until it goes pete tong and then tell them I told you so!!!!

But finally they have seen the light!

I had problems with my clutch (all be it on a 1.2) but still, the clutch had totally worn at about 15k miles. And even i know a clutch should last longer than that.

Took it in, and they confirmed it needed a new one. They tried to blame it on me and how i drive. They saw the big wheels, and the lowering etc, and assumed i thrashed my car everywhere, and ride the clutch. So i basically told them to kiss my arse and fix it. Which they did.

Took them about a day to do it in the end. I looked a right tw*t when i picked it up though, as i stalled the car on the way out! lol

Had this problem on our 172 right from day one. At first I thought it was the cable. They changed that under warranty but it made no diff. Then the clutch was changed under warranty for another problem but that still made no diff. So I just gave up as the car was always coming back with more problems than it had before it went in!

Its always when it gets warm and it makes the clutch pedal move in steps accompanied by a cracking/clicking noise that actually comes from within the bell housing. It can make you look a right learner when your pulling away in first.

Seeing as mine is now out of warranty, I investigated it myself and found out that applying some WD40 (obviously not on the clutch itself!) to the bearing that the clutch release arm pivots on inside the bellhousing, fixes it temporarily. It usually lasts about a week in warm weather but Id rather do this than pay the labour costs. You have to remove the air filter to get at it but Ive now got the job of to a fine art and can complete it in 5 mins flat!

So it might be worth letting them know to check the bearing before swapping the clutch. Id be interested to know the outcome and whether it was a faulty pivot bearing.

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 09 May 2005

Clutch is crap on my Vee too :cry: Its got a roughness that is particularly obvious in low gears ... pulling away with any beans in 1st is horrible. In any gear if you rest your foot lightly on the clutch and you can feel gravel. I fear a similar drastic warranty job will be required :(
Ive taken mine in with the exact same thing, and was told no fault found lol my gear drops out as well when giveing it seriouse welly.