ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup, suprising...

Picked up my 172 Cup today, so so pleased with it. Absolutely perfect all around, only fault is a missing front splitter (seems to be common), will get one when I have some cash, completely broke now! Apart from being stupidly good fun and me smiling ear to ear all the way home (in the wet too for half the journey, took it easy though) two things suprised me quite a bit...

1) Economy: 60 mile drive home around some twisty entertaining roads, amazingly I managed 47mpg! Ive driven nothing but 1.2s for 5 years so I was taking it easy, not hugely so though, had it wel beyond 5000rpm quite a bit. My missus followed me back in her MG ZR 105 (1.4), from what we can work out she used more fuel than me! Dont ever expect to see economy like that again but its nice to know its easily acheivable.

2) Its great at low speeds, this was my main concern as my drive to work is pretty dull and slow, but 30mph in 4th is fantastically smooth and stop and start traffic was fine (apart from my left foot, clutch is different to my 1.2 so it took a bit of getting used to!)

Im buzzing at the moment, its the car Ive pretty much always wanted since I really got into cars a few years ago, never expected to have one this soon, and especially not a 53 plate with only 8k on it, and with a "__ CUP" private plate!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

No idea how you managed 47mpg, especially if you were driving it hard. Ive never seen more 40 in my 172 even when doing an average 56mph for a couple of hours I only managed 39mpg! Be interesting to see if you can repeat that 47mpg

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

I only get around 35/36mpg driving it sensibly but pushing it when I get the chance. Dont believe the trip computer. Mine is permanently stuck on 41mpg!

Nope, full English model. It was on 33mpg from the previous owner, I reset it and after 60 miles thats what I had. Seemed to tie in with the petrol I had in it as well to be honest. Didnt get held up much or anything so I was doing a fairly steady speed all the way home.

I used to get 55mpg+ in my 1.2 Dynamique on a fairly consistent basis, but I knew people who also had 1.2 16Vs who would barely scrape 40, I guess Im just lucky as Im not exactly a Sunday afternoon driver. Got to do about 600 miles this coming week so I will get it down to empty then work it out properly.

Mini Cooper S sport

Yay its new car day! Enjoy it..Im like you, I never thought Id have a car like this and couldnt stop smiling all the way home :D.

I never thought so before, but the front splitter makes a real difference to the look of the car.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 14 May 2005

Yay its new car day! Enjoy it..Im like you, I never thought Id have a car like this and couldnt stop smiling all the way home :D.

I never thought so before, but the front splitter makes a real difference to the look of the car.
It is a great day! Even had people come up to me when I got home (I was cleaning it already!) asking questions about it, bit weird that! I was never interested in blue until I went to see mine in the flesh, waxed it this evening and it looks gorgeous.

Front splitter is indeed missed, was looking from a distance when paying for petrol this afternoon and it looked quite high without it. Will certainly be getting one when I can afford it, even my 1.2 Dynamique has one!

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by ukaskew on 14 May 2005

It is a great day! Even had people come up to me when I got home (I was cleaning it already!) asking questions about it, bit weird that! I was never interested in blue until I went to see mine in the flesh, waxed it this evening and it looks gorgeous.
HEHEHE I had a car full of young guys in baseball caps* in a Cavalier all staring out of the windows at mine on the way home..Im not used to the attention! I know what you mean about blue, I always wanted an inferno one, but racing blue is an amazing colour.

*tries not to call them chavs

An orange one

ive had 50.6mpg out of my 172 cup..with a photo to prove it!! :D:D drove for about an hour in 5th at 40 mph hehe

An orange one

the 50.6 was achieved through normal very easy driving though not a long hill..i was chuffed!!, normally resides about 28/29ish though..had it down to 14.7 before...oops!

Nippy white cup

Yep mine usually sits at around 32mpg. Got 43mpg in France (steady 90mph ish) but @ Curborough I managed to get 11.7. Make sure you reset in now and again and youll get a better reading for you recent journeys otherwise it just spreads it out over thousands of miles

Good purchase and have fun!

Chris

I averaged 46mpg in my 172 when I re-set my trip computer and did a 300-mile gentle trip from Cardiff to Hampshire, via Salisbury.

The way I get it is sticking to 60 on the motorway and then continuing at that speed on the A-roads. I accelerate gently and try not to get stuck in queues!!

Day-to-day, I get about 36mpg from the car - that includes some blasts of acceleration and slower traffic (going to work mainly).

With restraint its perfectly possible to get very economical figures from the 172. Just be sure to re-set the trip computer.
Its a breath of fresh air after my Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo!

You can do 30 in 5th and have enough torque to pull, but its smoother and probably more economical in 4th (due to gearing).

Mine is usually stuck at about 28mpg, but then I leather the f**k out of it on a daily basis. Ive seen 39 as my best, but it doesnt last long once you start doing some town driving. Never bothered trying it on a motorway though.

Funilly enough, my valver is about as economical as the old RT 40+

Doesnt make sense really. Suppose like someone said: some are just more economical than others by chance.. however im still finding upgraded parts allover the it from the prevous owner - might have something to do with it :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

glad your happy with your new motor mate, sounds like you are though! what you doing etiing over 40mpg+!!!!!!

start driving it properly! ;)

Erm, well that didnt last. That particular drive from Bournemouth is the one I usually see a good 55mpg on in my 1.2 so a good figure in the 172 perhaps wasnt suprising. But anyway, Im back in the real world now and its just dropped under 40mpg already! Got to do just over 120 miles tomorrow so it may drop further.

I must drive mine HARD. I have a 1.2 16v and get 39 when I drive it nice and slowly. 34 when I decided to treat her rough. Is that very bad?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by Mr172Mk1 on 15 May 2005

My mk1 172 seems stuck on 27.5mpg however i drive her :confused:

Likewise, mine moves between 27 and 33. Never less, never more.

On the track day, it said i was doing 27.5 lol

The best(worst) i got out of the 1.2/1.4 clio courtesty car was 14mpg, but that lived on the limiter for 2 months solid.