ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or not

Ive been looking to return to a renault pocket rocket after three years of aVTR (I had 9 points!!) previously owning a 19 16v.

My question is How can you tell if a 172 is the stripped out cup version with the suspension pack and not just a spoiler pack? Does it tell you on the V5 document?

Got my eye on a 172 cup which has a "172 cup" badge on the door piller but not sure if this is standard renaultsport spec

Er, its a one off colour (unless you count silver). Thats a pretty big helper.

It will have non leather seats too.

Easiest way is the wheels the 172 has the 5 spoke the Cp has the multiskope ones.

Also inside the give away is the seats arnt 172 ones ones you see a proper 172 youll see the diference.

Cups had the option of being silver and having climate control so you could see a silver car with climate and its still a cup.

The Cup suspenson is only different dampers if your after the Cup driving experiance all you neeed are these and the Cup wheels. (as they have different offset for widder track).

Standard "Cup" spec on the 172 was mondial blue paint (or a few in silver), front splitter, multi-spoke alloys, no spare wheel (just 2 cans of tyre foam), most had no aircon and all should have come with the door pillar "Cup 172" badges (although some apparently didnt).

Under the bonnet the Cup doesnt have a fancy engine cover as standard. In addition there are no xenon headlights, leather/alcantara seats, etc.

A quick read of this site and you will know exactly what youre looking at. :)

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

go for the normal 172 mate,trust me being a cup owner and crashing it id want the ABS alone, you can always get cup wheels off here and change the suspension, and depends on how many miles you do a week it gets tiresome on long journeys

Titanium ph1 turbo

ive had my cup nearly 2 years now and I love it to bits. what other car can u have which will outstrip most fast cars yet still return 40mpg and it feels "raw" when youre driving it !!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well 99% of 172 Cups look like this >>>

http://members.lycos.co.uk/pug306rallye/Clio/My_Cup_Front-Side_01.jpg

Basically they are easy to tell apart... unique colour (Mondial Blue) although a few of the later ones were silver, multispoke Speedline Turini alloys, front splitter, larger rear spoiler, grey cloth seats (not leather), no climate control (was an option on later ones), no ABS, etc...

Easy to tell if its a Cup.

I just got deja-vu, your cliosport sticker is in exactly the same place as mine! :) :)

Thats about as clean an example as you could hope to see.