ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 feels like it wants to stall

My grandads 1.2 16v has a current issue, when he reverses out of his drive, or comes to stop at a junction he saids he feels like he constantly has to catch the revs to stop it from stalling, I've been out for a drive with him because I thought it was just his gentle approach to the accelerator but it seems there is a fault, the idle was up and down when we approached a roundabout.

When I started the car up first time again the revs where dropping and rising for a second or two im not sure weather that's normal. I sourced a second hand map sensor which we fitted and he said it made somethings better and others a lot worse.

When the car does stall the electronic fault light comes on, and again still after trying this different MAP sensor. Hes spoken to a few of his mechanical friends and they are now saying try a new Lambda which I think could possibly be the case? The car was plugged into diagnostics and the oxy sensor fault came up but we changed that so not sure if it would be at fault still or fixed.

Coilpack and plugs have been changed last year.

Any suggestions ?

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Mine does something like this. Ive changed a few things such as, coil pack, leads, spark plugs, map sensor and use injector cleaner aswell to see if that does anything and still nothing has changed. My car doesnt stall it just feels like its going to stall when i first start it up so i have to keep the revs on to stop it from doing it.

Its been doing it for 6-9months now and still working fine so im presuming it could be a common problem on the lower engine size clio. Mines the 1.2 8V engine though. But when it starts up everytime even if the engine is warm it will still seem like it wants to cut out so im pretty baffled. Let me know if you find out what it is as id like to try the same on mine.

When I owned my 1.2 I occasionally have the problem, cold start in cold conditions and it would start then stall, how old is your battery? things on mine where better after I changed mine.

MAP sensor is £105 from Renault, If it was cheaper Id have a new one fitted for him but Im leaning towards Lambda for now, theres been a drop in MPG. The plastic inlets on the 1.2, when removed is there access to give things a clean out?

Ex-User (36231)

ClioSport Club Member
Check the air filter for oil and the inlet towards back of the engine. The mrs' 1.2 had about 1/2 a pint of oil sloshing around in there!

IIRC lots of short journeys causes this build up.

My grandad just popped round and before I could speak said the same thing about the oil after speaking to his friend, so it just gets dumped there and has no where to go?

Anyone got a guide to remove the plastic inlet or is it straight forward?

Ex-User (36231)

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember 100% think take airbox out and the top of the inlet has 5 bolts then the whole top lifts off and there is a well in the back.

I managed it while changing the engine loom and I'm a ham fisted Mong. Be reet.

Updating the thread because its nice to see a solution to a problem thread. Thanks for the above answers, I took the inlet off the car today, there was about half a tea mug's worth of old black oil at the back of the intake, cleared all that out and then removed the throttle body, was black and filthy so gave that a clean too, things run much smoother now, idle is improved.

Found this video on youtube which is very helpful, its just 10mm bolts, unclipping things and an 8E female torx socket needed for the top 4 bolts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OAzLkbgwk