Forum User
    Car
    1.6 ZS + Clio 182 FF

Fitting a new radio (DAB)

I am going to replace the standard renault clio 182 headunit with a better one as frankly it is rubbish.

I want to have a DAB radio as I'm bored of just radio 1 and kiss fm. I was just asking really if they are easy to install? I see that halfords charge £30 to install a new radio but could I do it myself?

Would it be just a plug and play job and will it need a fascia surround??

This is the one I am getting

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_265865

Thanks!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Clio 182

Re: Fitting a new radio (DAB)

I would sooner recommend the sony dab700 unit instead (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_265865) - purely because the Philips comes with a crap rigid antenna which has a magnetic base and is designed to be roof mounted - looks crap.. whereas the Sony has a glass mounted aerial (there is also a Kenwood/KVC from Halfords with glass mounted ones iirc)

No facia/wiring required unless looking to connect steering wheel controls - in which case I would recommend MTAUDIO

I have fitted numerous digital radios in work and tbh there amount of extra stations and the reduction in their prices make them tempting - however it would take a DAB/Bluetooth unit to fully convince me - not many available that do both (only 1 in Halfords - Sonici). In regards to fitting cost I can't really comment due to my current employers , I would personally consider it pretty straight forward - however I have seen people struggle with simplier things

Forum User
    Car
    1.6 ZS + Clio 182 FF

Quote Originally Posted by skinz View Post
    I would sooner recommend the sony dab700 unit instead (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_265865) - purely because the Philips comes with a crap rigid antenna which has a magnetic base and is designed to be roof mounted - looks crap.. whereas the Sony has a glass mounted aerial (there is also a Kenwood/KVC from Halfords with glass mounted ones iirc)

No facia/wiring required unless looking to connect steering wheel controls - in which case I would recommend MTAUDIO

I have fitted numerous digital radios in work and tbh there amount of extra stations and the reduction in their prices make them tempting - however it would take a DAB/Bluetooth unit to fully convince me - not many available that do both (only 1 in Halfords - Sonici). In regards to fitting cost I can't really comment due to my current employers , I would personally consider it pretty straight forward - however I have seen people struggle with simplier things
    Thanks for your help mate! I think I will go for the Sony one then! I had a look at MTAUDIO steering wheel adaptors and they are around £40 so I think I will have to make do with just reaching my hand across to turn it up ha!

I'm going to fit it myself but I read something about DINS. Does this affect the fitting of radios?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Clio 182

DIN is just the size of the stereo - you get single/double din - the standard clio stereo is single din so no facia adapters are required to fit an aftermarket single din

Forum User
    Car
    1.6 ZS + Clio 182 FF

Cheers buddy!

ClioSport Admin
    Car
    Arctic 182

Fitting a new radio (DAB)

Stalk control adaptor and patch lead about £25 ish on eBay. Got mine from there and work really well.