ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Qashcow

Renault trafic van gearbox...

Bit of a long shot here, but we have 6 renault trafic vans of varying age at work. The newest two vans, one of which is mine, are 10 plate and both on about 35k miles. Both under warrenty so at the moment it's not a concern of cost but we need vans to do our job...

Anyway, randomly now and again they struggle getting into reverse. Once stopped sometimes its nigh on impossible to find reverse. Doesn't matter how much dipping the clutch, revving, it just won't go in. Renault are taking one box out tomorrow to see if anything is amiss.

Has anyone else got/had the newer age trafic and had/heard any problems with reverse? Obviously I know the problems with the rest of the box and swiss cheese resemblance. An Internet search didn't come up with much

ClioSport Trader

Re: Renault trafic van gearbox...

pk6 box???

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Qashcow

Couldnt tell you im afraid. 6 speed, facelift vans. The 06 vans we own have been fine with reverse, just rebuilt one of them but that was the other 6 cogs lol

Forum User
    Car
    172,scenic, trafic

i have an 07 plate 2.0 dci trafic, evryone will tell you the boxes are crap. mine has never had a thing wrong with it, not the box or anything else. mine just hit 80,000 if thats any help

ClioSport Trader

id take a guess at either the gear cables or bearings shafted

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Qashcow

From what I can remember its done it from new on both vans, mines certainy been from new.

We've got six of them and had problems with boxes on 4, but they're still cheaper to run inc replacement boxes over a 8 year period than buying the other brands of van etc

Forum User
    Car
    172,scenic, trafic

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    From what I can remember its done it from new on both vans, mines certainy been from new.

We've got six of them and had problems with boxes on 4, but they're still cheaper to run inc replacement boxes over a 8 year period than buying the other brands of van etc
    do you get any other problems with them? i have heard of injector probs and som e breaking timing chains? when im fed up with this one i will buy another thats for sure

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Qashcow

We've had one with the injector problem. The fuel pump breaks down and send aluminium swarf down the line to the engine. As its ally it doesn't get picked up by the magnets and gets through the filter. Ours needed four injectors and was had to come off. That was the same van actually that the box went bang on. 130k on one van and it's been fine since new

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Clio turbo c43 AMG

Gearboxes
    Turbos
    Injectors
    Premature failing cambelts
    The problem is it's a Renault, I'm pretty sure there are 2 cables one for forward gears and one for reverse it's probably stretched

Forum User
    Car
    172,scenic, trafic

mine doesnt have a cambelt!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Lost Count

I've had three trafic boxes rebuilt in the time i've been trading.

The third is still at the gearbox place. 800 including vat for removal, rebuild and refit.

The boxes on them are a pain in the ass. Only weak point on the van though imo. Bloody brilliant vans. Light years ahead of a transit.

Forum User
    Car
    172,scenic, trafic

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    We've had one with the injector problem. The fuel pump breaks down and send aluminium swarf down the line to the engine. As its ally it doesn't get picked up by the magnets and gets through the filter. Ours needed four injectors and was had to come off. That was the same van actually that the box went bang on. 130k on one van and it's been fine since new
    i change the fuel filter on mine alot and always check whats in the filter

Forum User
    Car
    clio 172

With the reverse problem it might be where the selectors exit the box there are bearings that can leak
    Causing the problem so its box out time

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    225/BG 182

your all getting mixed up with the trafic models early one are weak espcailly the gearboxs which are pk6

facelift ones which have the 2.0 dci engine gearboxes are better but they are still stightly week and the code is pf6 iirc
    injectors are a problem due to water ingress but these trafics dont have a lot of problems really

nick do you work for cf roberts?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Qashcow

Lucky for the warrenty, will see what they say next thursday when it goes in