Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182

182 won't start, Immobiliser?

Afternoon,

The clio has been off the road for a little while but time to get back on, when I have gone to start it to take it for it's MOT, the battery was flat!

I was unable to jump start it so I got aa out to see If they could get it going.

We sorted the battery out but it looks like somethings happened to the immobiliser. Everything comes on ok but when you try to start it it stops after a couple of seconds. If you try and start it after leaving the ignition on it doesn't tick over at all.

We have tried both keys and they do not work. We have looked on here and the net and had a look at the circle light on the dash.

This stays lit when ignition is on and tries to start whereas other peoples problems include the light flashing.

Is this something to do with the immobiliser or something else?

Thanks in advance

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

Re: 182 won't start, Immobiliser?

Quote Originally Posted by TomMarv View Post
    Everything comes on ok but when you try to start it it stops after a couple of seconds. If you try and start it after leaving the ignition on it doesn't tick over at all.
    So when you attempt to start the vehicle it starts but then dies immediately? Have you tried to give the vehicle some light throttle when it starts; does it run or does it cut out on you?

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182

Sorry, I dont think I explained well. It doesnt start but it ticks over then stops after a few seconds which I think is the immobiliser stopping it?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    TRACK CAR BREAKING

Sounds Like decoder ring. Or key. I have a decoder Ring you can have for 10
    Try holding the button in? I have had soooo Manu immobliset problems with my car!! Everything to do with the immobliser has been replaced and then I had another problems a few weeks back!! It's soo annoying!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    TRACK CAR BREAKING

Actualy seems like key has lost sync..

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182
    I have two keys and none work so I thought this would be unlikely?

Thanks for your advice and any other help would be much appreciated

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

If it were a decoder ring or key fault the LED would be flashing red not be solid to say the code hasn't been recieved. It does indeed sound like an imob fault but you need diagnostics really mate.

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182
    Do people come out to have a look at immobilisers and if so do you know anyone close to Mansfield Mick?

Many thanks

Forum User
    Car
    Clio 182

Mine dose this sometimes on my 1.2
    What I do is hold the central locking button on the dash then put foot on throttle wait a few second and it should beep then let go of central locking button take foot off the throttle then put foot back on throttle then off again (do all this while ignition is on) hope this makes sence lol
    Might be different for the 182 but it can't harm to try lol
    Hope this helps mate

Forum User
    Car
    Clio 182

Quote Originally Posted by benn j View Post
    Mine dose this sometimes on my 1.2
    What I do is hold the central locking button on the dash then put foot on throttle wait a few second and it should beep then let go of central locking button take foot off the throttle then put foot back on throttle then off again (do all this while ignition is on) hope this makes sence lol
    Might be different for the 182 but it can't harm to try lol
    Hope this helps mate
    Forgot to add I sometimes have to do this twice lol

Forum User
    Car
    PH1 172

Try resyncing your keys

Get in the car and close door
    Hold down the central locking button until you hear a beep
    Press the button on your keys so the car locks
    Press the button again to unlock the car
    Turn ignition on and try starting the car after tge serv light goes out

Other one I have read on here is to leave your key in the ignition, switched on and leave it for approx 20 mins

Forum User
    Car
    CLIO 172 CUP....

jheeeeez. my battery whent flat on my cup so i had to stick it on charge lastnight. gonna b puting it back on the car later today to start her...hope i aint gonna have this problem........ ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182
    Been searching on the web all day, some other peoples problems with the light staying on say it could be the crankshaft sensor? Is that possible and is it easy to check?

Many thanks again

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by TomMarv View Post
    Do people come out to have a look at immobilisers and if so do you know anyone close to Mansfield Mick?

Many thanks
    I'm based in Nottingham so not a million miles away from Mansfield and would be willing to pop out and CLIP your Clio to tell you what's wrong. If you're interested PM me and we'll arrange a date.

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    CLIO 172 CUP....

battery back on and started...thank god.

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182

Quote Originally Posted by MicKPM View Post
    I'm based in Nottingham so not a million miles away from Mansfield and would be willing to pop out and CLIP your Clio to tell you what's wrong. If you're interested PM me and we'll arrange a date.

Mick
    Thanks for the offer Mick but found a guy right near me.
    Does anyone know what the approx hourly rate is for a mobile auto electrician - Dont want to get ripped off when it comes to how much I owe him tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

There is no preset hourly rate for auto-sparks... some charge 40 an hour on top of a 60 call out and others charge 80 per hour with no call out.

I am 25 call out and 35 an hour. Just be sure your local guy knows what he's doing or else you're paying by the hour for someone to poke about.

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    Silver 182
    Sorted! Dead fuse. Swapped it and all ok, charged me 45 which was good, now to the mot to see what surprises I have there!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car