Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

Car turns over but won't start ?

Hi

My 172 sport has sat still for around a month and a week or so, I went to start it and it turns over but will not start. The fuel is at one bar and was put in around 2 months ago. It's had a full service and was no problem up until now ? Any ideas would be appreciated ?

Cheerz Correy

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Fiesta ST

Re: Car turns over but won't start ?

What does the immobiliser light do? Little red dot in the center of the dials.

Forum User
    Car
    SEAT Ibiza SC FR

Have to tried swiping the TDC sensor off and cleaning it?

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

What is the TDC sensor and where is it located please ? I have a very basic understanding so unfortunately it needs to be very simple lol I can not remember about the immobiliser light !

Cheerz Correy

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    R26

Does it crank for about 3 seconds then die?

Might be the same thing I am having an issue with, which I think is the immobiliser.

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Correy View Post
    What is the TDC sensor and where is it located please ? I have a very basic understanding so unfortunately it needs to be very simple lol I can not remember about the immobiliser light !

Cheerz Correy
    On top of the gearbox underneath the air box.

Looks like

Last edited by JackJack; 18-08-2011 at 22:20. Reason: Adding pics

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

The red dot goes off after a few seconds of turning on the ignition, I just tried to start it and it just will not fire up. I will check the sensor in the morning and let you guys know how I get on. Thanx for your help guys

Cheerz Correy

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

If it helps, I did run the car for around 15 mins a week ago, after around 2 minutes it died but restarted and ran fine for the next 13 mins untill I turned it off ?

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

And its a phase 1

definatly sounds like the tdc, had this problem the day i bought my old one.

i have have one if you are after one.

cheers

chris

Forum User
    Car
    PH1 172

When you turn the ignition on but don't start, can you hear the fuel pump priming?

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

No I can't mate, I just tried another 6-8 times to get it started and around the last two times something behind the dash board starting making a noise, like a clicking. I don't dare try no more as my batteries getting flat ?

Cheerz

Forum User
    Car
    PH1 172

No I can't mate, I just tried another 6-8 times to get it started and around the last two times something behind the dash board starting making a noise, like a clicking. I don't dare try no more as my batteries getting flat ?

Cheerz
    That may be the relays you can hear. In the engine bay, try swapping the black tall thin relays around to see if the pump primes.... I will be doing that this evening on mine.

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

Okay I will give it ago, just cleaned that TDC sensor and it made no difference, what a ball ache it is to get to !

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Le Scoob

Good ol' phase ones.

Might be of use:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...ar-won-t-start

Enjoy !!

Forum User
    Car
    PH1 172

Okay I will give it ago, just cleaned that TDC sensor and it made no difference, what a ball ache it is to get to !
    That will be my next step, heard it's a pain to get to. Also test the clip on the fuel pump end to see if you are getting 12V coz it may be a fuel pump problem.

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

Evil giraffe did you solve your problem in the end, my cars only covered 42k but spent most of it's time still, I'm going to buy some fuel incase mines gone funny, I think it's more fuel pump related unfortunately ???????

Forum User
    Car
    PH1 172

Evil giraffe did you solve your problem in the end, my cars only covered 42k but spent most of it's time still, I'm going to buy some fuel incase mines gone funny, I think it's more fuel pump related unfortunately ???????
    Yeah he sorted it by changing the 3 relays he mentioned. 1 was the fuel relay and the other 2 got done because they were cheap and look corroded as well.

Let's hope both our cars start after replacing these relays. Order them from RS using the part code as it's only 2.90 each compared with 14 or so it says on here from Renault

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

Okay I've put 5l of fuel in and won't start, I've now been swapping round the 3 relays and i think one may be f**ked , I got what I think was the pump to prime but then my cars flat nOw from all the attempts to start it. I will order the relays as posted and see what happens, what's that yellow square in the fuse box next to the relays ?

Cherz

Forum User
    Car
    ITB 428 Ph1

TERRY172 have you ordered your relays yet ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast