Forum User
    Car
    Renault Clio Grande

Question Noisy engine, Tappets maybe

Recently purchased a second hand. Renault Clio grande 1.2 8valve. Its a 2001 model.
    And the engine sounds really crap. Ive been told it could be something to do with the tappets or something. Any help with this would be good thanks.
    Kind of a big newbie with cars etc. so keep technical terms to a minimum if possible.
    Sam

Forum User
    Car
    172/A4 Tdi

Re: Noisy engine, Tappets maybe

Don't know the engines too well myself - did this person mention if they were hydraulic or manual tappets? Check your oil level first - if it's hydraulic and you're running with sod all in the car it'll sound awful.... Other than that, ping a few emails off to garages for a quote on getting them shimmed (If manual) or replaced.

Forum User
    Car
    172DD Cup
    When mine did this one of the spark plugs was loose

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

Yeah, tappet clearances will need setting... easy enough DIY service job or you can pay a local garage to do it for you.

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    Westy.Audi A3

And an oil change will help. Might as well go the whole hog and give it a major service. I always do with a new car.

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

The cost of a major service on a 1.2 8v DIET unit is going to be under 40 anyway... why not push that boat out indeed

Forum User
    Car
    Clio 1.2 - 41k miles

Did a service fix this noise? My car sounds the same, my Dad :/ lol.. Says that its the tappets but it sounds terrible anyway. I am going to do a full service with my Dad lol.. But yeah I just wanted to know if a service would make it sound better and stop it running rough. It does that to. Cheers guys

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

You will need tocheck and set the valve clearances manually... its part of the service schedule on these but MUST be done with the engine cold.

Mick

Forum User
    Car
    Renault Clio Grande

Thanks for all the replies i have changed the oil thinking this may stop the sound. it didnt i will be changing the tappets some time,
    Does anyone know what the tappet settings are for this model? thanks

ClioSport Trader
    Car
    Megane III 2.0T

Inlet 0.1mm, Exhaust 0.2mm both @ cold

Mick