Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

How to remove the starter motor?

Possibly needing to replace my starter motor or get it refurbished. Are there any guides on how to do it? I'm hoping its pretty easy to bolt on and off.

1.6 MK2 PH2 Petrol Clio.
    Are the starter motors for all the models the same?

Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

Re: How to remove the starter motor?

bump

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    182cup & 172 racecar

Try an do a search,there is one about somewhere.

Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

I'm really struggling to find something. I've been searching for hours

Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

bump

Forum User
    Car
    Megane dci 130

Dissconect the battery earth lead
    Undo the 3 13mm bolts from the top.(various air boxs , resinator boxs and brakets will have to be removed)

Go underneath and dissconect the main live and the smaller exiter wire.

Remove offside front wheel and withdraw the starter from the wheel arch.

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    182cup & 172 racecar

This seems to get asked a lot.

You should do a guide for people.I think it would be very helpful.No good me doing one as half the bits on our car are missing anyway.

Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

A guide would be most helpful. I've not removed one before, so usually I find a visual guide with pictures to work with before tackling it myself. I think I may have found the 3 bolts that you mean, but I can't be sure. I guess I'll just have a bash when I get a day to do it.

Forum User
    Car
    MK2 PH2 & E46 330

Managed to get it off today. Here's what I did....

Removed K&N filter (where the airbox usually is).
    Take off the heatshield and loosen the manifold bolts (you dont have to do this, but I found it allowed the maniifold to move a little later on to give more room)
    Move anything else like rubber hosing out the way so theres easier access to the 3 x 13mm long bolts that hold on the Starter Motor. 2 are paired together and 1 on its own.
    Once they are undone, I unclipped any wiring I could see attatched, a couple of wires led to copper bolts so I just undid the bolts because it was easy.
    Now the tricky bit, the starter motor came loose with a quick tap with a hammer, so it was now just getting it out.
    I got under the car, and found a wire running behind the starter. Followed it and it unplugged it. It was a bit tough, but pulled right out. Move this out the way.
    Now the starter motor has room to move around, you want to wiggle it out towards the drivers side. Pushing up on the manifold once the bolts are loosened gives you more room.
    I didnt have to take off the drivers side wheel, or any driveshafts, you just have to be crafty at how you get it out the maze.

I'm putting a new one in tomorrow, so fingers crossed it works!