The aim for this car, was to improve its appearance as much as possible with a day (7-8 hours or so), with a view to correcting as many of the defects and swirling as possible.
The car itself was a Mk5 Golf R32 is the stunning Deep Pearl Blue colour.
Here is the car after I shortly arrived - nice and dirty, just how I like them...
P1030513 by RussZS, on Flickr
P1030514 by RussZS, on Flickr
P1030515 by RussZS, on Flickr
P1030516 by RussZS, on Flickr
So, as ever, first up was the wheels and arches with AS G101 and various brushes, followed by snow foam with Megs Hyper Wash, hand wash with Megs Hyper Wash, then the car was put back into the garage to warm up a bit, ahead of the claying stage...
P1030517 by RussZS, on Flickr
I could tell from washing the car (even through a mitt) that claying would take a while as there were a LOT of bonded contaminants on this vehicle!
Here's a pic of the clay bar after one small portion of the car...!!
DSC_0002 by RussZS, on Flickr
After claying, I dried the car over with an Uber drying towel, and began to asses the paint for defects. At first, I didn't think the paint was very bad, but after a proper inspection, it turned out to be in a bit of a state - clearly this car had never been cared for previously paint wise, some of this swirling was incredibly deep, and it was covered in RDS's!
DSC_0005 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0008 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0011 by RussZS, on Flickr
Clearly it was not going to be possible to fully correct this car in a day, given its hard German paint, so I went about trying to establish which combination would offer us good results within the time limitations. Have sampling various combinations, I settled on 3M EFC with a Megs Cutting Pad, which allowed me to finish down well enough, and also offer a decent level of correction.
DSC_0022 by RussZS, on Flickr
(Lime Prime was used on the plastics)
DSC_0033 by RussZS, on Flickr
As you can see, not perfect, but a LOT better with much more vibrancy to the colour, and the gloss/reflectivity of the paintwork has been restored:
DSC_0069 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0075 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0056 by RussZS, on Flickr
As the day was quickly turning to night, and the temp was falling to -2, please excuse the 'not very final' shots. Hopefully you can see that the car is in a much better state when compared to the starting point:
DSC_0076 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0077 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0079 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0080 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0082 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0083 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0084 by RussZS, on Flickr
DSC_0078 by RussZS, on Flickr
I wasn't happy with the final outcome as I couldn't get the paint as corrected as I'd like to within the time constraints, but it definitely looked a lot better for the time spent on it. I intend to return at a later date to finish what I've begun.
Thanks for reading