ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Valver, Astray 1.6

Does De-icer damage paintwork, seals etc

Does using de-icer damage the paintwork, the window seals n all that, just that ma pal is saying this just want to know if he's talkin crap, or if its actually true, i think hes talking tbh, and i know theres a few folk on here that do bodywork paint spraying n stuff.
    Cheers guys

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    172/FabiaVRS/Hilux.

Re: Does De-icer damage paintwork, seals etc

IIRC yes. I always use a scrapper.

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Octavia vRS | CitiGo

I was under the impression it wasn't good for the rubber. No idea how bad but it was enough to make me stop using it.

Forum User
    Car
    Renault Scenic 182

Yes i have had and seen many damaged paintwork coming into me, trust me it wrecks paints natural shine with repeated use, a decent scraper and some arm work is more than adaquete.

the 5 minutes you save deiceing, you will spend TRYING to get the shine back come summer time, so tell your mate he is most definatly right

Forum User
    Car
    Jap Box

Its done nothing to my paint or seals, but the paints a mess anyway so id rather spend less time out in the cold and use the de-icer!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Fiesta ST(Very Soon)

I use it when i forget to put a blanket on my screen, and i don't spray it on my paint

Forum User
    Car
    Renault Scenic 182

But it runs off and onto paint with how some people put it on and on some cars worse than others, its obvious if you think about it, ever heard the statement nothings free in life? in the same way, somethings not gonna be easier to do with a trade off end result?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Flame Red Delight

simple answer is yes, as said above does infact create marks which are very hard to get off paint and does wreck seals (coming from someone who has a friend who works for autoglass)

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Grand Scenic Tom Tom

leave the car running ftw

Forum User
    Car
    Nissan Juke DIG-T

Yes the same way bird s**t, tree sap, oil, grit and every other element does.