Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum User
    Car
    Astra GSI, 172, Golf

Re: Paddle Clutches Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by ben_r1 View Post
    Absolutely thanks for your input mx1_champ.

the car is only used at the weekend and never for travel just for fun so i can put up with abit of judder. Been in touch with Helix and they've assured me although its far from ideal, that spec clutch can be used on a road car.
    no worries mate, looks like a few others have confirmed what i said to.

Forum User
    Car
    TVR Cerbera

I have a Helix sprung 4 paddle clutch in mine, and it is no problem at all. other people have driven it too and never had any problems either. I had heard of horror stories, but don't believe everything you read.
    If you wanna try my clutch, you are welcome to...............

Forum User
    Car
    LY 182

mate had one in an rs turbo.. its a bit grabby, but was used to it within 5 minutes....

Forum User
    Bedford www.519automotive.co.uk Please Call DON'T TEXT, I HATE PM'd
    Car
    ITB'd MK1

I can't stand paddle clutches, and I've time and again proven that for road use a stronger cover plate is the way to go. Only real need for a paddle is under hard use for serious motorsport, and even then it should be with the knowledge that your flywheel and pressure plate will get eaten (that's why they get lighter with use.....they're doing less). I've had a paddle clutch ruin a flywheel in 3k by munching its way into it, leaving me with a 3mm deep groove in my flywheel.

Forum User
    Car
    TVR Cerbera

Sorry Danny but it must have been fitted wrong then, because my paddle has done 10k, and there's not a spot of wear on it anywhere, when i last had to take off to refit my flywheel correctly after it came loose! ( it was fitted by GDI)

Forum User
    Car
    Lionel Richie

^oooft, www.owned.com

danny you're either talking out the wrong hole there, been unlucky or using cheap parts, as daz says, on a helix paddle after 10K we saw 0.11mm wear which is sod all

Forum User
    Car
    ITB'd MK1

clio flywheel seems harder than the 200sx one i'm refering to, but the last helix cover i saw with about 10k on it was pretty munched. There's no need for them anyway, stronger clamping cover will increased torque handling, and with NA you'll never have huge torque. My RPS organic clutch on my 200sx for example was rated to 410lb/ft

and I wouldn't call 170 for the paddle plate alone cheap. I've seen the same results time and again. Paddle plate almost untouched, cover or flywheel ruined. think of the effect race pads have on disks....same thing

Forum User
    Car
    Lionel Richie

f**king jap s**te, we're on about proper crap here, made with love and garlic, renault flywheels are manchester with a paddle

Forum User
    Car
    ITB'd MK1

still munches the cover though, and they're over 200 a pop. Pointless waste of parts when a more freindly to use item will do the job just as well and last longer

Forum User
    Car
    Lionel Richie

not on our alcon stuff, 10K we had sod all wear, and i'm not just saying that to piss you off, its atucally true!!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Mk2 Clio cup racer

How much are the alcon clutches Fred and where do you get them from? I gave up looking for one after a while and just bought a helix

Forum User
    Car
    Lionel Richie

well they stopped using them as they had a few explode and changed to helix, haven't tried to buy one in a while but you might be able to still get one, i'll send you some details

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Mk2 Clio cup racer

Yeah i heard that to must of just been a dodgy run of them, Alcon stuff is top notch usually.

ClioSport Area Rep
    Essex

Car
    Too standard.

So final opinions is the majority seem to Think it's not ideal in a road car but you cam certainly live with it?

Forum User
    Car
    Lionel Richie

well i hope Helix have got a bit quicker these days, 2 years we waited for them to do a V6 clutch then they decided they couldn't be bothered

They're not ideal for stop start driving. Not the end of the world though, depends what you want it for? Just imagine the distance of clutch pedal travel being nearly nothing from engaged to disengaged and that's what it's like. If you're really sensitive with your foot it's no problem, but it will catch you out as soon as you stop thinking about it.

Forum User
    Car
    T.Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by mx1_champ View Post
    stevieh.
    although it wasnt me driving the car he wanted some input and that was my experience
    Mate I wasnt having a go, and I'll be honest I'm not sure what a evo would be like with a paddle clutch but I can boldly state that a paddle clutch on the road is far from ideal, yes you can still drive it on the road as I've proven with mine over the 18 months that I've had mine fitted. However because of the initial take up being so snatchy you have to do as Ben172 says and use excessive revs and clutch slip to avoid stalling. In slow moving traffic everyone looks at you as though you've just passed your test. LOL. However untill you experience one for your self you wont appreciate how dreadfull they are, I'm fitting a stronger box to mine and the one criteria it had to meet was having a larger fly wheel to accomodate a larger clutch so I can move down to an organic plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyx View Post
    So final opinions is the majority seem to Think it's not ideal in a road car but you cam certainly live with it?
    Bingo

Forum User
    Car
    TVR Cerbera

Quote Originally Posted by Vickyx View Post
    IF you can justify the requirement for an uprated clutch, then it is certainly liveable in a roadcar. Bear in mind i was running a standard clutch for 6 months with approx 220 bhp and 170 ftlbs and it was fine until i Santa podded it!

And further to what other people put, no more hill starts sitting on the clutch, you will have to use the handbrake! and as for traffic, i learnt to leave a bigger gap, so i can trundle along in 1st at idle(ish) so as to not use the clutch.

Forum User
    Car
    T.Trophy

I'm certain Paul@RStuning was running an organic clutch in his SC clio, so in my eyes a paddle clutch is OTT for 99.8% of people on here.

Forum User
    Car
    TVR Cerbera

Quote Originally Posted by stevieh View Post
    I'm certain Paul@RStuning was running an organic clutch in his SC clio, so in my eyes a paddle clutch is OTT for 99.8% of people on here.
    Like i said, the standard clutch is happy, till you start drag racing, and then standard power is enough to pop gearboxes/clutches! lol

at end of the day the clutch is rated to same torque as the gearbox, so guess what will go after the clutch, if you don't look after it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast