Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum User
    Car
    Flame red 172

Diagnosing a faulty heater resistor pack

Iím pretty sure my heater resistor pack is knackered as I have no fans working. Before splashing out to buy a new one, I wanted to be certain that this is the problem.

I have been trying to follow some instructions I found on the net without much success:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1137252-r...82_air_con_fan

Basically I disconnected the connectors from the resistor pack and the blower unit to test voltages and continuity on the connectors.

On the connector for the blower unit, I could only find 1 6.5v feed on track 1, and 2 earths.

On the connector for the resistor pack, none of the 1-5 tracks appeared to be supplying a voltage.

I performed these tests with the ignition on, with the blowers set to max on the controls inside. I checked for fuses which are linked to this but could not find any. I think there has got to be some somewhere but could not see any in the fuse box on the passenger side.

Iím no electrician, but just know how to-do basic tests with a multi-meter. Im wondering whether the connectors actually need to be plugged in for performing the test?

Can anybody help or comment?

Many Thanks,
    Adam

Forum User
    Car
    Flame red 172

Re: Diagnosing a faulty heater resistor pack

Have managed to take a another look into this again this afternoon.

This time, all tests done with earth to the battery and blowers full / temp max and air-con on.

I have tried shunting together pins 1 and 5 on the resistor pack connector which is meant to run the blower on full with no result.

I have tested all avail pins/connectors in the following pic and and cannot find any voltage sources, other then pins 5-6 which feed the connector with the black and yellow wires coming out the top, attached to the blower housing (reading 6v).

(not in the picture is the 5 pin connector for the resistor pack)

There are many chunky red wires on this part of the loom which I assume should contain some 12v feeds.

Are there any fuses involved in the heater / blower setup. I have checked all fuses in passenger fuse box and beneath bonnet on right hand side and everything is fine.

Would really appreciate anybody's input on this.

Many thanks,
    Adam

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    FF Bean

A week before my battery died the other day the fan packed in. New battery and it worked again. It might be worth disconecting the battery and/or trying a different one.

Forum User
    Car
    Flame red 172

Thanks realnumber, I will give this ago next time i'm playing around with it. from reading other posts on here and renaultforums, there are fuses which control the fans, can someone point me in the right direction for finding these.

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    FF Bean

I just checked all mine under the bonnet and behind the door and ALL were fine.

Forum User
    Car
    Flame red 172

I now have working heaters! Thought I would just finish this post off with my findings.. for all whom are interested. I managed to start making sense of the fixya.com instructions when I removed the blower relay and started testing connections. It turned out the 12V into the relay on one connection was not present. I tracked this back to a blown fuse in the engine bay fuse box. It was the 30Amp green fuse (the fuse next to the 60AMP missing from the pic below - just by the yellow, blower relay)

Once this was replaced, the relay connections were working as expected and I had working fans but on constant max speed .

Next I removed the resistor pack and started stripping it down as I know some people have managed to fix them themselves. It soon became clear that this would not be an option!. I can use a soldering iron but this would need some precision soldering and I wouldn't know were to start!

So, I ordered a new one from renault which in total cost 99.14 inc vat 2 days later fitted and working perfectly!

Hope this info and pics are usefull to anyone else having the same issues!

Cheers,

Adam

Forum User
    Car
    Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)

I think I've got the same problem.

Did you climate control light up and everything? Look as though it was working but was not blowing any air out of the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by polarbert View Post

Did you climate control light up and everything? Look as though it was working but was not blowing any air out of the fans?
    Mines doing this now better check it out tonight see if its a fuse

Forum User
    Car
    A thirsty 172

Quote Originally Posted by polarbert View Post

Mine's done this a couple of times mate. Both times it was the resistor pack.
    The first time it was replaced by Renault under warranty.
    The second time the dealer warranty had run out so I fixed it myself. The resistor is the same one used in various Renault cars - £30 from a scrappie.
    Pretty easy to change too.

ClioSport Club Member

Was driving back from a mates place tonight and noticed the windscreen wasn't de-misting, then realised no air was coming out of any of the fans.

The controls still light up on the dash though.

Also noticed that the rear wiper wasn't working and then started coming on really quickly even though it was turned off- weird.

Everything was working fine a couple of hours ago, any ideas?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Titanium Clio 182

You need part number 7701051272, almost certainly.

ClioSport Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stunty View Post
    You need part number 7701051272, almost certainly.
    The heater pack?

People seem to have been describing that fault as the fan being stuck on the one speed rather than not blowing at all?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Titanium Clio 182

Quote Originally Posted by lmonty87 View Post
    The heater pack?

People seem to have been describing that fault as the fan being stuck on the one speed rather than not blowing at all?
    Yep. Same symptoms as I had. Lights all working on the heater panel. Functioned, as in, upped the blower speed button and the level on the display went up. But no blow.

Forum User
    Car
    A thirsty 172

It's definitely shagged. I'm on my third one!

ClioSport Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stunty View Post
    Yep. Same symptoms as I had. Lights all working on the heater panel. Functioned, as in, upped the blower speed button and the level on the display went up. But no blow.
    Cheers, sounds like I've got exactly the same problem then. Any ideas on the weird rear wiper though?

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    It's definitely shagged. I'm on my third one!
    Nightmare! Is the part still around £100?

Seems like quite a common problem, is there a particular reason for them failing so often?

Forum User
    Car
    A thirsty 172

I don't know how much they cost new. My first was replaced by the stealer under warranty a few weeks after I bought the car. That one failed a month or two later and they wouldn't replace it because I didn't purchase the extended warranty from them. So for my third I went to a scrappie and paid 30 quid for the whole unit and all the connectors. I fitted it myself and it's been fine for almost 2 years now.

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Titanium Clio 182

103 quid plus vat i think.

ClioSport Club Member

Just got round to trying to sort this today with a mate:

Checked blower relay

Checked fuses and wiring from relay to blower motor and controller chip

Blower motor resistances checked: appears OK

Assume problem is controller chip: how is this removed?

It seems to be fused to the wiring leading to the blower motor. (see picture). Is the controller supposed to be replaced along with all the wiring, or can you somehow separate it?

ClioSport Club Member

anyone?

Forum User
    Car
    260% JCW

If you look at the picture of the resistor pack the bit which goes wrong is the Transistor which sits on top of the heat sink. There are three legs which go through the PCB and are soldered on the other side (as shown). If you check the resistance between the legs you will find that a f**ked Transistor will be shorted. Its a Mosfet Transistor (STP80f55-08 a rough guess)

I managed to find one on the internet. Cost me 13 pounds inc deliv from the U.S. and i put to use my PCB course and fixed it myself. Easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast