Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum User
    Car
    182 (Conversion)

Cold start often VERY rough.

Hi guys, I know there are a plenty of topics on this already (it feels like I've read them all) but non seem to answer my problem.

On cold starts it nearly always is rough as hell, not every time but most. I've had a few high revving cars before (even had a 172) so I know it's not just the nature of a high revving engine when cold/low revs - it's much more than that, somethings "wrong". It coughs and splutters, keeping foot on the accelerator it seems to die, feels like it's about to backfire, then picks up again. Kangeroos like hell and sounds like it's about to stall.

Engine is a 182 with PS, TC, ABS removed (throws the SERV light, but no error codes, I'm told), it's also a decat with a pipercross open intake (soon to be replaced).

Once it's done about 4 miles it's fine, sometimes I can even feel when it "clicks over" and starts behaving, which leads me to think it's purly some mechanism for cold starts.

What should I start looking at to diagnose the problem? Arghh it's embarrassing when cold.

Thanks,
    Rob

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    172/FabiaVRS/Hilux.

Re: Cold start often VERY rough.

When was it last serviced?

Forum User
    Car
    Megane Trophy, Golf

Coil pack, sensors?

Forum User
    Car
    182 (Conversion)

Had new timing belt kit and full service before I bought it - well that's what I was told. Engine about 44k

Forum User
    Car
    Megane Trophy, Golf

Could just be the hot weather

Forum User
    Car
    Mk1 Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by 172cupwizard View Post
    Could just be the hot weather
    I wouldn't rule that out either, most of my recent problems have developed since the warm weather has arrived and alot of people on here seem to have found that as well. Especially non starting issues.

Forum User
    Car
    182 (Conversion)

These are modern cars though, warm weather might make it a bit lumpy or not feel as smooth but it wouldn't cause these issues - besides it's fine once warmed up. There's deffo something that activates/deactivates/changes fixing the issue after a few minutes.

Forum User
    Car
    New Kangoo Van!

Mines the same, really rough for the 1st few mins on a cold start. I had birchdowns run a diagnostic test on it when it was fully cold and they said all readings were fine and there was nothing wrong wth the running gear. If I go out in the mornings I have to let the car tick over for at least 5 mins otherwise it wont go anywhere. I always thought it was a knackered lambda sensor around the cat area as that is where the noise comes from. When I bought the car it didnt do it so I do believe there is a cure for it its just trying to find out what it is. Perhaps a remap might improve things.

Forum User
    Car
    clio 182 FF + chipped

I also have a 182 that does the same thing, every morning i have to sit on the drive way while it warms up for about 3 mins or so. I too can feel just by sitting in the car when its finished being stupid and idling normally and ready to drive off. If i try to drive before this it will kangaroo up the road also.

I had the same sort of problem when i had a clio 1.8 16 valver. This was fixed by a new lambda sensor as said above. So maybe thats what is causing the problem with the 182's?

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Mondeo TDCI 130

Normal imo, my 172 is horrid when its cold, gaz's 197 is the same, sometimes mine is nearly un drivable for a few miles, apparently it is to do with emmisions when cold.

Forum User
    Car
    Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

I think this is a known issue but there is NO fix. Renault say this is due to the oxygen sensors not working when cold until they have warmed up (Via the internel heaters built into the up and down stream oxygen sensors.) The advice is to allow the engine to idle for at lease one minute before driving off.

Forum User
    Car
    182 (Conversion)

Weird. After sitting in the drive for a few minutes suffering the lumps, I heard a little click (sounded like around the glove box) and it was fine thereafter. Not sure if related.

Forum User
    Car
    Clio 182FF

Mine is also rough when cold and if you drive straight from starting it the power is very uneven but it sorts itself out very quickly. After driving for only a minute the car runs perfect (I know it takes a lot longer to fully heat through - but I mean the car feels normal after a short period of driving).

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    172 Cup Race Car+182

Sounds worse than normal.

Mine did this when the pre cat lambda went. For the first mile it wouldn't get over 20 mph, then once the lambda had warmed up off we went, just the occasional flat spot.

I had to crawl along with the hazards on until it "clicked".

Forum User
    Car
    Albi Blue RS 200

Yup had the same problem with mine as do most, the Fastchip remap seems to have sorted most of this.

Forum User
    Car
    Civic Type R

Mine runs rough for probably a half mile, then it seems to 'click' and all is fine. Does it in the same place every morning lol. exhaust and decats pops a bit, sounds f**king mint!!

Forum User
    Car
    clio 172

if the engine is running a little rough you could clean out the throttle body, idle control valve and also replace the tdc sensor, might help.

Forum User
    Car
    Track 172cup

mine was exactly as you described mate, very lumpy idle from cold (you could feel the car shaking), when i would pull away the car would hesitate and it would feel like its about to cut out when coming off the revs to change gear

mine would only last about a couple of min and then it would be fine

i remapped it using an RS tuner over the weekend and have done 2 cold starts since, it has sorted it out really well, i get none of the 'symptoms' above anymore and it drives like it should, cant say if it would 100% be the problem with your but it definitely sorted mine out

since ive had the car ive always though the fuelling wasnt right so the remap may have sorted that out ?

Forum User
    Car
    182 Cup

I'd have to agree since joining today and reading about this as it's been as issue my 182 has faced since I bought it last year, only had 24k 05 plate and it's just like you say almost feels like it's going to die and eventually after 1 or 2 mins down the road is absolutely fine

But going to try some suggestions I've seen been useful and only joined an hour ago

Cheers

Forum User
    Car
    04 Monaco Blue 172

sorry for thread/grave digging

my clio does this for about half a mile until its warm and then drives fine,

i guess its related to it not firing on the first turn of the key sometimes

im going to clean the TB and take it from there

glad i found this thread, the search function has been usefull

i now know my car is normal lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast