Forum User
    Car
    bmw 318ci coupe

replacing seat belt pretensioners on a clio, please help

hey all, basically the belt pretensioner has activated on my passenger side seat of my clio, how do you reset it/ replace it safely without deploying the airbags? will this turn the airbag light off on the dash aswell?

ive heard to discnnect the battery and leave for 30mins will make it safe, however if i do this i will loose my radio as i dont have the code for it

any help welcome, need it sorted asap, thanks

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    Meg'd r27

Re: replacing seat belt pretensioners on a clio, please help

yea disconnect the neg and you will need the code for the radio. easily got with your v5 at renault. The pretensioner and comp will need replaced ( or sent to germany and reset) at renault you are talking big

Forum User
    Car
    Audi S3

The computer does not need to be replaced contrary to what people (including me previously) say, i've got the renault airbag manual for the clio it states that the computer is good for 4 detonations before it needs to be replaced. It also says that they can be unlocked easily enough with CLiP which seems rather strange when renault tell you theres nothing that can be done and you need a new one at instead of an hours labour.

New seat for the pretensioner and sent the airbag computer to be reset (search ebay).

Also has it got a side airbag? You'll need a new seat anyway then because they distort the seat frame when they detonate.

Forum User
    Car
    2004 Clio Cup 172

replaced a few pretensioners, you should disconnect the battery but u culd chance not doin that to save ur code but thats ur choice. i've done it and got away with it, lucky i guess! the air bag light wont automatically go out you will need to plug it in to do that at any garage with the software, also if you dont mind drivin around with the light on the bags will still detonate with the light on! the tensioners r easy enough to do you can disconnect the electrical plug in two places under the seat and on the tensioner other than that its one bolt to do a 40 torx i think!

Forum User
    Car
    bmw 318ci coupe

so basically , i should buy a new or used pretensioner from ebay or breakers, disconnect battery, unplug and remove old one, and put in new one, reconnect battery. then get the light switched off.

will i defo need a new seat as mine seems fine and it goes back and forward fine?

p.s thanks for all the replys!

ClioSport Club Member
    Car
    2013 AMG C63 Saloon

ive got a airbag computer from a 172 (2001)

if you want it like LOL

Forum User
    Car
    bmw 318ci coupe

where has this thread been moved to?

Forum User
    Car
    Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
    so basically , i should buy a new or used pretensioner from ebay or breakers, disconnect battery, unplug and remove old one, and put in new one, reconnect battery. then get the light switched off.

will i defo need a new seat as mine seems fine and it goes back and forward fine?

p.s thanks for all the replys!
    If it hasn't got a side airbag then not you can keep the original seat. Although sometimes the cost of a replacement pretensioner is more than a whole new seat.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Airbag-ECU-Mod...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIRBAG-MODULE-...QQcmdZViewItem

Then one of those to reset the comp.

Forum User
    Car
    2004 Clio Cup 172

yeah mate done it loads of times, the seat should be fine ive never changed a seat for the side bag or pre tensioner detonating. just put a new one on from a scrapy then go to a garage and get the light turned off!

Forum User
    Car
    bmw 318ci coupe

cheers del il do that then , got a mate whos breaking a clio anyhows so will get in touch with him

Forum User
    Car
    bmw 318ci coupe

riteo , got a new pretensioner fitted , took it to a garage to get the light out (via a computer), they said i would need a new ECU , would this be right?

if so , where would i get one? thanks in advance

Think it's 235 all in from Renault or as others have said if your not in a hurry you can get it sent away to get the codes taking out.

Not sure if Renault would be able to reset them even if they could they probably wouldn't Renault say it should be changed. Any other garages wouldn't have the equipment to access it anyway never mind reset it.

Forum User
    Car
    Audi S3

You do not need a new airbag computer. Send your current one to one of those ebay links I posted and they'll reset it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ype=osi_widget

Forum User
    Car
    Audi S3

Quote Originally Posted by tidyclio View Post
    Think it's 235 all in from Renault or as others have said if your not in a hurry you can get it sent away to get the codes taking out.

Not sure if Renault would be able to reset them even if they could they probably wouldn't Renault say it should be changed. Any other garages wouldn't have the equipment to access it anyway never mind reset it.
    Renault dealers may say it needs to be changed but the renault tech manuals disagree with them, it even lists the steps to reset the comp. Send it away to one of those links and it'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bmh.01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tidyclio View Post

Renault dealers may say it needs to be changed but the renault tech manuals disagree with them, it even lists the steps to reset the comp. Send it away to one of those links and it'll be fine.
    You may be right. I've only read dialogys and in there it says it must be changed. When it happened to me the page on the clip computer was saying that the airbag computer had to be replaced. If other places can unlock them by reloading the software then obviously Renault can but like I said whether they will or not is another matter.

Forum User
    Car
    Audi S3

Very true I imagine half of it comes down to you being bent over a barrel and what they can charge you. The manual i've got comes from dialogys which says it doesn't need to be changed except in certain circumstances. How clip works will all this I don't know because i've never seen/used one.